Help! Safari 5 and pdf issue

Reaction score
I currently have a MacBook that is running Safari 5 and the newest version of the adobe reader and every time that I try to open a pdf, thru safari, that has been saved to my hard drive I get the following message:

Please wait...
If this message is not eventually replaced by the proper contents of the document, your PDF viewer may not be able to display this type of document.
You can upgrade to the latest version of Adobe Reader for Windows®, Mac, or Linux® by visiting Adobe - Adobe Reader download - All versions.
For more assistance with Adobe Reader visit http://www.adobe.com/support/products/ acrreader.html.
Windows is either a registered trademark or a trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries. Mac is a trademark of Apple Inc., registered in the United States and other countries. Linux is the registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in the U.S. and other countries.

Does anybody know of a solution? The pdf is my tax info and it needs to be opened thru a web browser so that I can e-file it. Thank you for your time.

R.

Marco

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Safari can open a PDF by using Preview. Adobe is not needed. You stated that the PDF is saved on your hard drive... that's all the more reason not to use Adobe. Preview will open PDFs by default.

Regards.

OP
I
Reaction score
Even if I open the pdf thru preview, I still get the same message. I have to open it w/ Safari so that I can e-file the document. Thank you for your reply.

R.

Marco

Reaction score
I’m having the same problem. I need to download a PDF from the IRS website. Preview will not suffice for this.

I have updated all my browser plug-ins and trashed Safari 5 prefs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.