Rdp can't connect due to permissions

Reaction score
I've been trying to connect to a University remote desktop server through my iPad but evertime I try to log in I get an error message saying "to log into this remote console session, you must have administrative permissions on this computer"

I'm able to get on with my Macbook Pro and other computers but not with my iPad or iPhone. I've tried using rdp and vnc lite (which I had success with about a year ago on my iPhone), remoter, and iTeleport on my brothers iPad.

I have two theories. One, the server has changed in some fashion which isn't allowing me to gain access or, two, Im not using the proper app that allows enough permission to access the session or apple is not allowing it in their iOS.

Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions? I'd love to just buy apps until I find one that works but I really don't want to waste the money especially if it won't work. Any help is much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I used that same RDP iTap app on my iPad to connect to my home Windows desktop last week. And I got that same error message. For some reason my primary account wouldn't allow me access and I had to create a new Admin account. It took A LOT of messing around with the desktop firewall exceptions and setting up the router configurations. I needed the EXACT IP address and had to use that for the "Host Name" instead of my computer's name.
I'm sure it's a little more complicated in your situation, but rest assured that app does work and it works great once you get all the details worked out. It might require some configuring on your university's side of things... if that's possible.

Reaction score
I have the same error message trying to connect through my corporate system. The IT guys claim RDP works but not so far ... will have to sort it out this week. But Father's Day was good considering the new iPad 3G my family got me! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.