imic or not?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook 12" G4 OSX10.4.3, 768mb RAM, La Cie 160gb Mini Ext HD, La Cie d2 Ext DVD Burner
hello

I have a Powerbook G4 512 mb RAM. Can anyone tell me if I would get a better quality recording from an external cd player / record player using the audio line in on its own or plugged into an imic first?

Also i'm swapping between recording with Toast 6 Titanium and Audio Hijack Pro 2.

Any advice as to which will give me the best recordings would be greatly appreciated!!

Ronan

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If I understand it correctly. The iMic was created for those systems that did not have an audio in port, like my Ti powerbook. If you have an audio in port, I would use it instead of the iMic.

As for the external CD player verses the internal CD player. I don't think there is much of the difference. I believe the difference is the amp, that is being used.

B

Badger

I get much better quality from the iMic than I get from the eMac audio in. I've been converting my LPs and cassettes to CDs using my eMac, a turntable, an iMic and Griffin's free software Final Vinyl. Final Vinyl is pretty basic so if you need to clean up the recordings you might want something with more features.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Wow, I thought that you would better results with the internal audio input port.

B

Badger

Apparently the built-in audio input circuit picks up internal electrical noise from other circuits. I didn't see that but I found that with the iMic I could get a better signal at a lower input volume.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.