Updated Read Post Method

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Hi everyone,
We're experimenting with using a new method to keep track of read posts. You may notice weird behavior the first time you come back to the forums since we made the change, but it should be correct after that point. I suggest going under quick links and select "Mark Forums Read" after your done, if you see something strange.

After that, please let us know if you see any weird behavior you're not expecting.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks for the "head's up" Schweb"!:) I immediately noticed what you described...I was like 20 PAGES of unread threads...woah!

Hey...what's up with the new VW avatar?

- Nick

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have a whole page full of unread threads! :D

I will let you know later if it keeps it up. Should be fine.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You know this happens every time I change my avatar :p

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh I just like to change things up every so often ;)

You had that other avatar for quite a while! I thought maybe you just got a new car (VW)...and so were displaying your "affinity" for VW's!;)

I have a 1979 VW Beetle convertible...so I'm a bit of a VW fan!:)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You know this happens every time I change my avatar :p

Should I do this? I think I will. Where is that Square Chicken! :D

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The square chicken is right representing us on Twitter ;)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I thought it was just me or perhaps even the update to SL that caused all my previous read messages to show up as not read. Thanks for the heads up. After I read this last night I was able to set things back to normal.

Regards.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought it was just me or perhaps even the update to SL that caused all my previous read messages to show up as not read. Thanks for the heads up. After I read this last night I was able to set things back to normal.

Regards.

Yep, other than a one-time blip after you first visit since the change, overall this method should hopefully give much more accurate results over time, especially if you look at Mac-Forums from multiple different locations or machines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Yep, other than a one-time blip after you first visit since the change, overall this method should hopefully give much more accurate results over time, especially if you look at Mac-Forums from multiple different locations or machines.

Its really nice to have the same read posts on my Mac and iPhone . Now if we could just switch from the iPhone skin to the regular ....

Clay

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Thanks for the update, I was wondering why I have so many unread threads. When I know i looked at more than have of them. :D

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Gave me a chance to clear out some of my subscriptions again.

I like that it doesn't mark every thread read since the last visit whether I read them or not.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gave me a chance to clear out some of my subscriptions again.

I like that it doesn't mark every thread read since the last visit whether I read them or not.

Yep, it just segments them out.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Plus, when you go to 'Profile' and then visit one of your subscribed threads - then hit the back button, it auto updates now and removes the one you just read instead of it still being there - that's pretty cool.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Plus, when you go to 'Profile' and then visit one of your subscribed threads - then hit the back button, it auto updates now and removes the one you just read instead of it still being there - that's pretty cool.

Yes I noticed this as well. The removal of a thread you just read does have it's good & bad points.

- Good point...it removes it from the unread list (after you've read the thread).
- Bad point...sometimes harder to find a thread you may have replied to...and you wanted to edit your reply.

I am also experiencing a lot of old threads "hanging around" (instead of just newly replied to or created threads). For example...with the frequency that I visit the site. At about 10:30pm I usually only see about 10-15 new or updated threads to read. But tonight there are over 109 threads.

15 of them are the "normal" new ones...and then I get the message:

"The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts....

Followed by 94 old threads. I tried using the "Quick Links" > "Mark Forums Read" suggestion in "Schwebs" thread from yesterday announcing the changes...and that worked for a while.

But before the changes yesterday...I never had this problem. Like a lot of people...there are threads that I read...and some that I don't. And it seems to be the threads that I don't read...that seem to be "hanging around" between visits to Mac-Forums. Previously...all threads (read or unread) would disappear between visits to the site (say at least an hour between visits). Then only newly created threads or updated threads would be in the list.

I will try "bobtomay's" suggestion of using the "Quick Links" > "Today's Posts"...and see if that helps.

- Nick

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's because the old cookie-based solution basically just said "hey, we're just gonna mark everything as read after so long whether you actually read it or not".

The new server based solution says, "we're only going to mark read what you actually read or when you click 'mark all forums read'". Everything else that has new stuff, but that you haven't read will simply be placed below that line "The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts".

You can ignore everything below that line or mark the forums as read and they'll disappear. They'll also fall off that list if you still haven't read them after 5 days (this will be adjusted up or down as we see how the system plays out).

The new system is much more accurate and it works much better for people viewing the site from multiple devices.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.