• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple confirms SIM-free iPhones are truly unlocked UK,France and Canada

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Apple this afternoon confirmed that the SIM-free iPhones the company is selling via its stores in the UK, France and Canada are being sold truly unlocked and can be used with your choice of provider, including providers outside of the country in which your iPhone is purchased.

UK, France, Canada! Apple Confirms Unlocked SIM-Free iPhones - Google Search

UK, France, Canada! Apple Confirms Unlocked SIM-Free iPhones

Still no factory unlocked iPhones in the U.S.

below is the pricing
£499 (16GB), and £599 (32GB) UK

€629 (16GB) or €739 (32GB) France

$649 (16GB) or $749 (32GB) Canada

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
It's hardly surprising that they'd allow this outside of the U.S. seeing as how most people in EU carry more than one phone with a different carrier on each. Just how things are here. You of course can get a contract and a subsidized phone, but the policies are far less rigid. I'll miss that when I get back to NY in August.

Doug

Reaction score
This is very good news. Looking at the contracts in the UK vs buying the iPhone outright, it is a much better move to by the iPhone unlocked. That way you will be able to get the best deal on a network seeing as they are cracking down on so called "unlimited" contracts.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I seriously doubt that we will ever see a factory unlocked iPhone in the U.S.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
There's just little point to an unlocked iPhone in the US. Contract or no contract, your AT&T fees won't change and your only altenative is T-Mobile, on which you'd be hobbled in being limited to their EDGE network. May as well just buy it under contract and save some upfront money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
There's just little point to an unlocked iPhone in the US. Contract or no contract, your AT&T fees won't change and your only altenative is T-Mobile, on which you'd be hobbled in being limited to their EDGE network. May as well just buy it under contract and save some upfront money.

Exactly what I was thinking. No GSM competition to speak of in the U.S.
Now, IF Apple ever creates a CDMA iPhone... well, then there's at least 2 carriers we could choose from and you can bet AT&T would lose A LOT of customers then. :Evil:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Theoretically the iPhone 4 could use T-mo's 3G network, the new version of the phone can support the 2100mhz spectrum they use for 3G.

I predict we'll see an official iPhone on T-mo by end of 2010 or early 2011 at the latest, well before Verizon or Sprint get the iPhone.

OP
bargsbeer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Theoretically the iPhone 4 could use T-mo's 3G network, the new version of the phone can support the 2100mhz spectrum they use for 3G.

I predict we'll see an official iPhone on T-mo by end of 2010 or early 2011 at the latest, well before Verizon or Sprint get the iPhone.

The problem there is that Tmobile uses 1700Mhz/2100Mhz spectrum,Which is an odd frequency, I agree hopefully we'll see a Tmobile version until then unlocking them will have to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Oh REALLY? Hmmm… that's very interesting. No one else in the world is using that spectrum, right? That alone is danging evidence that T-Mobile will be getting it shortly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 3GS & iPhone4 Factory Unlocked.
does this mean canada will get the new iphone 4 as a factory unlocked?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oh sorry i didnt know there was a law on this forum that you have to FULLY understand the FIRST post? If my post took so much of bandwidth and gigs on this site then i guess feel free to delete it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oh sorry i didnt know there was a law on this forum that you have to FULLY understand the FIRST post? If my post took so much of bandwidth and gigs on this site then i guess feel free to delete it.

No, just the first post directly answered the question you asked later. It's actually even answered in the title of this very thread.

You asked: "does this mean canada will get the new iphone 4 as a factory unlocked?"
The thread title says: "Apple confirms SIM-free iPhones are truly unlocked UK,France and Canada"

Not sure where the confusion is, it's a pretty clear title.

Also right from the first post:
"Apple this afternoon confirmed that the SIM-free iPhones the company is selling via its stores in the UK, France and Canada are being sold truly unlocked and can be used with your choice of provider, including providers outside of the country in which your iPhone is purchased."

Does any of that not answer your question?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
right that does make sense but when i asked the question i was at work and just skimmed through the post, I could not read the whole thing. It seemed too good to be true, buying factory unlocked iphones from canada? that makes me want to do back flips. Anyhow, i dont think it hurts to confirm something which has been said before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
right that does make sense but when i asked the question i was at work and just skimmed through the post, I could not read the whole thing. It seemed too good to be true, buying factory unlocked iphones from canada? that makes me want to do back flips. Anyhow, i dont think it hurts to confirm something which has been said before.

So because you were in a hurry and couldn't bother yourself to read the details, which included a source of the information for "confirmation", you want others to take time out of their day to re-state what was already clearly stated?

Face… meet palm. *sigh*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So because you were in a hurry and couldn't bother yourself to read the details, which included a source of the information for "confirmation", you want others to take time out of their day to re-state what was already clearly stated?

Face… meet palm. *sigh*

lol you just made me laugh.

Reaction score
I'd like to play Devil's advocate for a minute and come to ZEEK's defense ...

Nowhere in the original post or the title does it confirm that the iPhone 4 is being (going to be?) sold unlocked :p That is however answered in the links in the first post :)

That being said, great news for Canadians!! I just might be pulled back to the iPhone 4, even though I was sure I was going to hate it (from the leaked photos a few weeks back) lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You Canadians are special :p

OP
bargsbeer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Nowhere in the original post or the title does it confirm that the iPhone 4 is being (going to be?) sold unlocked :p That is however answered in the links in the first post :)

That being said, great news for Canadians!! I just might be pulled back to the iPhone 4, even though I was sure I was going to hate it (from the leaked photos a few weeks back) lol

You Canadians are special :p

I'm jealous I'm racking my mind as to how I can get one from Canada at a decent price. Factory unlocked would be great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

lol thanks ;) i also do not like it from the photos but im sure ill like it when it gets in my hands.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.