Burn.app and DVDs. LibDVDCSS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My school has nearly completed the process of going all apple. All the Macs had an app called Burn.app. You could drag the icon of a DVD onto the selection area to select it then click save to save an ISO image of DVDs. DVDs are encrypted but that encryption can be broken by use of the libdvdcss package, as I have learned in my time with Ubuntu Linux.

I just got a MacBook Pro for graduation. I have downloaded Burn.app and even got a copy of the app that is installed on the school computers, but my computer won't copy DVDs. I assume that this is because it is not using the libdvdcss package to decrypt the DVDs. I have VLC.app installed which has a copy of the libdvdcss package inside. When using handbrake, it recognized that VLC was installed and used the copy of libdvdcss that it contained. I'm assuming that this is what should happen with Burn. But alas, it does not.

What do I need to do to get Burn to copy DVDs like my Linux box can do flawlessly? I don't want to use HandBrake because it only saves a video file. Sometimes I want to have the entire DVD copied, which burn does. Or at least it did at school. . .

Please help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
This can't be discussed, as it's illegal to break encryption on DVD's.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Like Kevriano stated, we do not allow any discussion of breaking any Encryption on DVD's. It's against USA Law and our forums are in the USA.

Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.