iPhone Jack-Jack to iMac

Reaction score
Greetings everybody.

Sorry if the question has been asked before or if it sounds stupid, but I'm new to this. Basically, what I want to do is hear the iPhone audio in my iMac when it is connected to the dock. Is it possible? If so, a normal 3.5mm Jack-Jack cable will do it?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Should work. You would also need something like Rogue Amoeba's free "LineIn" tool though to be able to hear whatever is coming into the iMac:
Rogue Amoeba | Freebies: Free Software for Mac OS X

Also note that the unamplified signal from your iPad might not be very audible when being piped in via a line-in jack.

And yes*–*I am a bit puzzled why you would want to. All your music is on the iMac anyway and could be played through iTunes?

OP
G
Reaction score
national waxiest

Thnx for the reply. I wasn't aware of such an app, but it makes sense.

I want it just to hear the ringtone. Actually, when set on the dock, the volume of the ringtone (on the iPhone) is 50% or so lower. Hooking it up in the iMac will get it heard even if I'm not in the room :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.