My iMac can not read "mixed" CD

Reaction score
I bought Canon camera, later Garmin Edge. Installation discs of both
products are readable on Windows. They have Mac installation software burned on those CDs as well. But my superdrive ejects them every time I put them in. Other audio CDs or DVDs are read without any problem.
I have iMac 24", OS Snow Leopard 10.6

Any idea how to get the software installed on the Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Sounds like it's a corrupt hybrid CD.

Try copying the files off the CDs onto a thumb drive and run from there.

OP
P
Reaction score
I thought that that CD was wrong, but when the same happened by Garmin CD - it would be curious if I got 2 wrong CDs from 2 different producers...
The problem is - software from Canon can not be downloaded - they have there only updates on their page (support confirmed it to me and claimed my CD drive must be wrong). So I can not copy the software on the thumb drive (on Windows is the Mac section not visible, on Mac is the CD immediately ejected)
P.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What do you mean on the Windows side, the Mac part of the CD is not visible?

Have you tried opening the CD in Windows with Explorer or another file manager and looked for the Mac files? There's nothing different about files on the Mac portion of the CD that would prevent you from looking at them and copying them to a thumb drive.

Regards.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have several mixed CDs where both the OS X and Windows versions are included. I can read both versions whether I'm in OS X or Windows 7. I guess the Canon disk must be setup differently. The only thing you can do in this case is ask for another CD. As Aptmunich pointed out it's probably a corrupt hybrid disk.

Regards.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thank you, I asked for another CD, it is just strange, that the Garmin installation CD "behaves" in the same way.

OP
P
Reaction score
I have just tested the CD in another iMac and it works, so the CD is not corrupted. It seems that the "superdrive" is the problem....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.