• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iOS4 on your Mac?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
iOS 4 on a Mac?
iOS 4 on a Mac? | ZDNet

Do you think having the ability to access and use iOS apps on your Mac is a good idea? Will people stop buying iOS devices if this was possible? What do you think?

(posted for the8thark)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I mean it might be interesting, but since iOS is a touch-based system, it's not going to be the same experience right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
A good idea ? I don't think much of it personally. Will people stop buying iOS devices if it happens ? Never, it would be silly as heck. The whole point IMO of an iOS device is that it's even more portable than an laptop, and it's instant on with incredible battery life. The two hardware structures make sense for two totally different types of practical applications.

I wouldn't give too much credence to this guys ideas, personally speaking.

Doug

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I wouldn't use them simply because they were designed for touch screen devices with smaller screens. The differences in interface paradigms would make the experience mediocre at best. Think of it this way - would you rather use a webpage that was formatted for the iPhone on your iDevice or would you rather use the full version? Sure, you may want to use the full version for some features but odds are that the mobile version works better. The same logic goes the other way - would you rather use a client designed for OS X or one that was designed for a difference device and OS?

Reaction score
Personally, I would love to use it for the games sans any with the accelerometer (doodle jump for instance) . IT would be a nice option anyways.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
It would be nice to be able to "test" an app out on your Mac, and that's why you get the emulator provided in the SDK... other than that, not really. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Thanks Bob :).

And I think I might actually use them if they were on my Mac. Sure they are designed for mobile devices totally. But that organisation of all the apps that matter to be being in my face as soon as I log into the computer I like. I don't to search for what I want. And if want something new it's only an easy trip to the App store. Not a long hike through the web trying to find exactly what I need.

I don't think dual booting into iOS would work too much. But virtulisation as their own kid of widget or it's own desktop would be nice.

I think the above with the new trackpad device Apple is rumoured to have made and a little cursor instead of a mouse and you're set. Sure OS X is faser, more powerful. Bur for most organised, ease of use, and getting the information that matters to you fast, nothing beats the iOS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.