2nd iPod Classic locking up when connecting to MacBook Pro

Reaction score
I'll sum up the lead-in story as best I can.

I have a 2010 MacBook Pro 13". Just got an new iPod Classic a couple weeks back. I discovered that when playing the iQuiz game, I had a few lock-ups (freezing). Then a handful of times, it locked up when connecting it to the MacBook for charging or syncing. It didn't lock up EVERY time. But about 1 out of every 4 syncs on average.

I naturally thought something was wrong with the Classic, and brought it into the Apple store when it was locked up, and they gave me a new one.

But now this one is doing the same thing. Occasional lock-ups when connecting to the MacBook Pro. Doesn't matter which USB port. And doesn't seem to matter if the computer has been on, or if it's a fresh boot.

What could be going on here? I doubt highly that both Classics I've gotten have the same exact issue with occasional lock-ups when connected to the computer. My MBP otherwise has given me no problems. And no problems with other USB devices, ever.

Any ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
All I can suggest is to take the new one back and let Apple check it out. Unless there's something on your MacBook Pro that's causing the lock ups, I can't think of another hardware reason that should happen.

One thing you can try - boot your MBP using SAFE mode. (Hold down shift key after chime) Attach the iPod Classic and see if it locks up or not. I doubt software could be causing it, but you never know.

Regards.

OP
skiltrip
Reaction score
All I can suggest is to take the new one back and let Apple check it out. Unless there's something on your MacBook Pro that's causing the lock ups, I can't think of another hardware reason that should happen.

One thing you can try - boot your MBP using SAFE mode. (Hold down shift key after chime) Attach the iPod Classic and see if it locks up or not. I doubt software could be causing it, but you never know.

Regards.

Thanks for the advice. I might try that. The only problem is it happens to inconsistently there's no guarantee that if it doesn't lock up in safe mode, that it will definitively tell me anything.

I might have to bring in the Mac and the iPod to the Apple store and just keep syncing until it locks, and let them look at it.

It figures I'd get the mystery problem. Could it possibly be a bad USB sync/charge cable?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
If you are still using the same cable then yes it could be. Other then the Mac it is the other thing in common.

OP
skiltrip
Reaction score
If you are still using the same cable then yes it could be. Other then the Mac it is the other thing in common.

I am using the same cable. When they replaced my iPod, they only replaced the iPod itself, not the whole box and accessories. Wish I could get Apple to cough up a replacement cable so I didn't have to buy one to check it out, but I have a feeling I'd have to bringing everything to the Apple store Genius Bar, then keep trying it till it locked up. Could take all day if it didn't feel like locking up. It happens about once a day on average.

OP
skiltrip
Reaction score

I bought a new cable to try that out. No dice. The Classic locked up first try.
I'm thinking it needs to be a software issue with iTunes and/or the auto-detection of the iPod.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I bought a new cable to try that out. No dice. The Classic locked up first try. I'm thinking it needs to be a software issue with iTunes and/or the auto-detection of the iPod.

Let's try the Safe Mode boot for a bit to see if that makes a difference. I know this is annoying if not frustrating, but with all the good trouble shooting you've done we should be able to narrow this down.

Something else you might try (just thought of it), is to tell iTunes not to open when you attach the Classic. I had to do that when trouble shooting a bad drive in one of my older iPods. (As soon as iTunes opened, the defective iPod hung the system.) If the Classic is OK without iTunes, it might be something that iTunes is doing that causes the lock up.

Keep us posted.

Regards.

OP
skiltrip
Reaction score
Let's try the Safe Mode boot for a bit to see if that makes a difference. I know this is annoying if not frustrating, but with all the good trouble shooting you've done we should be able to narrow this down.

Something else you might try (just thought of it), is to tell iTunes not to open when you attach the Classic. I had to do that when trouble shooting a bad drive in one of my older iPods. (As soon as iTunes opened, the defective iPod hung the system.) If the Classic is OK without iTunes, it might be something that iTunes is doing that causes the lock up.

Keep us posted.

Regards.

Funny you should suggest that. Last night I was thinking the same thing. I set iTunes to not automatically open, but also to not automatically sync.

I just can't imagine in a million years my USB ports are acting up because I've been using hard drives, my iLok, USB mice, MIDI input devices all on the USB with no issues. So something tells me it's a software thing. Last night after I changed these settings I didn't have a lockup, but like I had originally said, its sporadic at best, so today when I get home from work, I'll have another chance to experience a possible lock-up. If I still have a lock-up, I'll try the safe mode suggestion. If I have no lock-up, I'll keep things like that for a few days and see what happens.

I'm new to Macs (2 months new to be exact). What would it tell me if I have no lock-ups in Safe Mode? Would that indicate a software or hardware issue?

And thanks for sticking with this one and helping me out, it's greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You mention using other usb devices , are you by chance using a usb hub ?

Clay

OP
skiltrip
Reaction score
Update for Jun 16, 2010.

So I came home this morning, and after changing the iTunes settings, and not auto-syncing or having iTunes launch automatically, the Classic still locked up upon connecting to the computer.

Here's something I've noticed. It's pretty much guaranteed to lock up after being with me all day, playing music for hours. I leave work for work around 7am, and the iPod is playing the majority of the day, in the car, and at work. Never is it plugged into another computer or any sort of power. When I get home around 5pm, sure enough the first connection locks it up.

Then after that it seems I can connect and disconnect all I want in succession with no lock-ups.

So, for tomorrow, when I get home from work. I'm going to boot into safe mode, then plug it in. I'll report back. This is becoming tedious, but I'm keeping my sense of humor about it! ;)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, for tomorrow, when I get home from work. I'm going to boot into safe mode, then plug it in. I'll report back. This is becoming tedious, but I'm keeping my sense of humor about it!

Sometimes it's hard to keep a sense of humor when running into a "tough dog" (as we old electronic techs used to say). Anyway, Safe Mode will load the system without drivers or login apps. In other words, a clean boot.

Something else I thought of... you don't by chance have another machine you can plug the Classic into do you? It can even be a Windows machine. Maybe a friend's computer? It would be good to know if it does the same thing on a machine other than yours.

Regards.

OP
skiltrip
Reaction score
Sometimes it's hard to keep a sense of humor when running into a "tough dog" (as we old electronic techs used to say). Anyway, Safe Mode will load the system without drivers or login apps. In other words, a clean boot.

Something else I thought of... you don't by chance have another machine you can plug the Classic into do you? It can even be a Windows machine. Maybe a friend's computer? It would be good to know if it does the same thing on a machine other than yours.

Regards.

I have a lot of computers I can try actually. I brought my sync cable to work today and planned on plugging the Classic into my WindowsXP laptop at work.
The biggest kicker here is that it happens only now and then. The only "constant" I found (and I put quotes around it because I'm not sure if it's a constant or just a trend), is that after my workday, my first plugin into my Mac locks it up.

So I'm thinking... maybe the best thing to do is wait until the end of the day, right before I leave the office, and plug the Classic into my work computer. See what happens. If nothing, I can also plug it into my wife's WinXP laptop when I get home. If I get no lock-up I can go directly to the Mac after that and see if it locks up. Do you think it this case I should be in safe mode, or keep that part of it as a known entity and keep it in normal boot status?

OP
skiltrip
Reaction score
Ok, so I coudln't help myself, and didn't wait till this afternoon to try the Classic in the Windows computer. Guess what? It locked up.

Now, again, I'm left kind of scratching my head.

In this adventure there has been...

2 different iPod Classics

2 USB sync/charge cables (both Apple brand)

2 different computers.

The only thing I can possibly think of is I just got two lemon Classics? Is this possible? Seems to defy the odds, but I don't know.

My thinking now, is I need to get another replacement Classic. What do you all think? Anything else I should try?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looks like we're at the end of our ropes on this one. Since it locked up on the Win machine as well as the Mac, that kind of narrows it down to the iPod itself.

Another thing you can try - remove everything from the Classic. In other words, just like it came from the factory. You can do that easy enough by backing up or copying all your music, podcasts, videos, etc. to your library on the Mac (if they're not already there) and then doing a reset. That will clear the Classic. Afterward, try to see if you can get it to lock up.

If all else fails, take it back to Apple and ask if they'll swap it out again for a new one. Or upgrade your Classic to a Touch. :D

Keep us posted.

Regards.

OP
skiltrip
Reaction score
Looks like we're at the end of our ropes on this one. Since it locked up on the Win machine as well as the Mac, that kind of narrows it down to the iPod itself.

Another thing you can try - remove everything from the Classic. In other words, just like it came from the factory. You can do that easy enough by backing up or copying all your music, podcasts, videos, etc. to your library on the Mac (if they're not already there) and then doing a reset. That will clear the Classic. Afterward, try to see if you can get it to lock up.

If all else fails, take it back to Apple and ask if they'll swap it out again for a new one. Or upgrade your Classic to a Touch. :D

Keep us posted.

Regards.

I was thinking, is it at all possible that a bad MP3 file could be causing this problem? I'd think it unlikely, as if it were a sketchy MP3, but not loaded into memory or currently playing it shouldn't do anything. Maybe I'll clear it off at some point like you suggested that start trying to get it to lock up.

Trust me, I have been looking at the Touches. The only problem is the only capacity that meets my need is the 64gb, and even that is cutting it close. Plus it's 400 bucks. Just out of my range. I also really like the clickwheel for operation in the car, or walking around. I don't even have to look at it to navigate around. That and I won't buy a Touch right now with September right on the horizon. The 64GB could come down in price, and they might introduce a higher capacity one. Who knows. Sigh.

Hopefully I can find out exactly how to make it lock-up, and then do it while I'm at the Genius Bar, then maybe they can figure it out.

OP
skiltrip
Reaction score
I just called Apple support, just to get their phone support folks to weigh in on things.

We collectively came to the conclusion that there might indeed be a corrupt/bad/sketchy media file on here. I mean, it's the ONE factor in common between the 2 iPods, 2 computers, and 2 cables.
Problem is, out of 7800 songs, how am I gonna find it.

Today I may do a restore before I leave for work, then connect when I get home and see if I get a lock-up. I'm probably going to have to do some experimentation and do without my uber-library for a couple days in order to narrow down what's going on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You said this problem started with iQuiz , perhaps start with that. Did you create or upload any content for that ? There are a bunch of posts online about problems with that.

Clay

OP
skiltrip
Reaction score
You said this problem started with iQuiz , perhaps start with that. Did you create or upload any content for that ? There are a bunch of posts online about problems with that.

Clay

It started with iQuiz on my first iPod. My current iPod is the replacement, and I haven't touched iQuiz on this new one.

OP
skiltrip
Reaction score
OK...

This problem has pretty much been resolved. Here's the thing, and hopefully someone can benefit from this thread should they encounter the same type of thing...

The freezing upon connecting to the computer was indeed caused by "bad" mp3 files. I quote the word bad, because they are only bad on the iPod, and iTunes plays them fine.

I had noticed from time to time that a song wouldn't play. It'd be in Shuffle mode, and it would skip to the track, stay at 0:00 for a second or two, then move on to the next track, as it couldn't play. Most of these files were VBR files, and honestly, I've had them so long I don't even remember the source, though I'm pretty sure a least a few were from Amazon. So i went and converted every VBR mp3 I had to a consistant bitrate in iTunes using Advanced -> Create MP3 Version. Sure enough, after this, I wasn't having any freeze-ups.

But there were a few albums that were NOT VBR that would not play. And these too played fine in iTunes on the computer. I did the same Create MP3 Version to those tracks, and that repaired them.

So the two cases where I experienced Freeze-ups, can now be explained by these "bad"/unplayable files.

In iQuiz, in Music Quiz 2, it uses your MP3 files to create questions for you. Whenever iQuiz attempted to play one of these unplayable files, it would just freeze up. And in the beginning, I had quite a lot of these, so the odds of it happening were pretty great.

The freeze-ups when connecting to the computer, this usually happened after a long day away from the computer, when I connected at the end of the day to charge. Inevitably, the iPod would encounter some of these unplayable files during the course of the day. And as long as it encountered at least one of these, that would guarantee a freeze-up the next time it connected to the computer. I'm not sure if something gets stuck in the iPod's RAM when this happen, and it's unable to purge/clear upon connecting to the computer or what. But in any case, it would result in a freeze up. Since I've fixed all my files (at least I THINK i got them all), there hasn't been freeze-ups.

I was even able to reproduce and control the freeze-ups, by purposely playing a file I knew was bad. Then connecting to the computer. Instant lock-up. Fixed the file, played it, then connected, and no freeze-up.

Unforunately, it seems that my first iPod that I returned was probably 100% ok. I just wish that the "Genius" Bar was a little more insightful in their troubleshooting. If they'd simply suggested the 'bad file' scenario I would have looked into it, and discovered the cause of this sooner.

Live and learn. Hopefully someone can benefit from this thread, and thanks to everyone who lended their advice and insight into this while I worked it all out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.