External harddrive incompatible?

Reaction score
I have a 1.5TB external HDD from Western Digital which I bought recently and have a lot of stuff on. I can access the files and put them onto my Mac, but for some reason it won't let me copy/cut and paste things from my Mac onto my harddrive. Any ideas as to why this is? It's quite frustrating, and doesn't happen with my PC!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
It is likely that the drive is formatted with the NTFS file system, which Mac OS X can read, but not write to. You'll need to have your drive formatted in FAT32 for it to work with both a Mac and a PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Open up Disk Utilities in your Applications Utilities folder and then select your external hard drive and under the Erase tab pick the format you want and then click on erase. Make sure to backup anything you want to save on the drive before doing so because it will all be deleted.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What version of OSX are you running? If 10.6 Snow Leopard, there is a way to enable full Read/Write support for NTFS.

OP
T
Reaction score
I have Snow Leopard... Brand new MacBook Pro 2.66GHz. :D

Is there a way to do that without deleting all the info?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes. Download and install the free NTFS Mounter. As dtravis pointed out it will turn on NTFS read - write support in Snow Leopard.

Regards.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Forgot all about NTFS Mounter. :D

I was going to show him the terminal command. Thanks Chscag for that! I can't believe I forgot that little utility.

Reaction score
Forgot all about NTFS Mounter. :D

I was going to show him the terminal command. Thanks Chscag for that! I can't believe I forgot that little utility.

Would you be able to post the terminal commands? I'm new to the mac world & knowing more commands wouldnt hurt

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.