G4 Powermac startup disk full

Reaction score
Hi everyone:D

I am afraid I am very ignorant of the workings of Macs/Pc's etc, so any information gratefully received in real lay-mans terms.

I have a Quicksilver G4 Powermac and it keeps telling me start-up disk is full. I was told that this machine had a cd/dvd drive/burner, the cd drive works but the burner hasn't actually worked since getting it. This was not a new machine to me but has been very good so far.

I obviously need to do something to this machine and would be grateful if you could share your expertise with me as to what would be my best remedy.

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The remedy for a full hard drive is to either get a larger hard drive or start erasing what you don't need from the drive. You will need the original install recovery media if you intend to swap the hard drive for a larger one. Also, if the optical drive is not working correctly, an external optical drive that has firewire capability can be used instead. Your machine will not boot from a USB optical drive. Has to be firewire.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.