I'm new here: problem with Safari and "localized string" .. ?

Reaction score
As I said, I'm new here, and forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this, haha. I have a MacBook OS X Version 10.6.3. Last night I did a system update, and when I logged back on this morning, I got on Safari and the address bar and Top Sites tab kept saying "localized string not found." So I searched for some fixes, and first tried getting rid of the webkit.framework, but that didn't work. So I uninstalled Safari, repaired permissions, and then ~tried~ to reinstall it, but it said it wasn't compatible with my volume. :Shouting:
So I ejected/trashed Safari, and tried to do it again a couple of times with the same result. I thought it would be fine, I'd just wait until I got my restore disc (mine is at my other house), use another browser, and fix it later.
Wrong, aha. Not only Safari stopped working, but iChat and Windows Live Messenger did as well -- whenever I try to open those two, it says they can't open because of a problem and I need to make sure that program works with the version of OS X that I have (and it does, because I haven't made changes to those programs).
Is there any way to fix this BESIDES the restore disc? Or have I completely ****ed things up? Lol.

Edit: NONE of my apps work except for Preview..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums and skip the response you got at Yahoo!

What version Safari are you using? Go to the Apple web site and download Safari 5 and install that and see if your problem is resolved.

http://www.apple.com/safari/

OP
madisonflare
Reaction score
Thank you! I hadn't even checked my Yahoo! question, haha.

I tried installing Safari 5 again, and it said it couldn't be installed on my volume, so I tried an earlier version of Safari with the same result. :/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you download as suggested from the Apple web site?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looks like you need those discs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A late thought Madison. You are installing Safari into the Application Folder by double clicking the .dmg file?

If so, download an application deleting utility such as AppDelete or AppTrap, which is free. Drag the Safari icon from the Application Folder to the Trash, and AppDelete will automatically remove all other associated files. Then try a nice new clean install.

http://onnati.net/apptrap/

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.