Need a cheap program like Jasc paint shop pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OsX 10.4.11 G3 iBook
What I need is a software that actually has Frames that I can attach to images that is cheap. I can't afford the $99 in order to get Xcode that will allow me to install and use Gimp, Xchat, etc. I am very upset that freeware stuff requires me to pay apple and lie to them and say I'm a developer. Thats nuts! I do intend to head over the developers and ask for a solution.

I do not need photo viewing program, slide show makers and other newbie I can't do anything programs whose sole purpose is to view photos. I have 5 of those programs already because of who I bought Mac from.

However, failing the cheap department, because I doubt what I need actually exist cheaply. IS there a software program that DOES have connect more then just a gif color to a picture that does not cost more than $150? And has the features Jasc Paint Shop Pro has? Gimp does not have the feature by the way, but I do use it on my Ubuntu.

Many Thanks! :D

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OsX 10.4.11 G3 iBook
Sorry! I was going to edit my profile before posting here. :p Oops! I'll do that a little later.

I'm on a OSX 10.4.11
Its an iBook.

iBook G3 with a 14" display and AirCard

Machine Model: PowerBook4,3 [G3]
CPU Type: PowerPC 750 (2.3)
CPU Speed: 800 MHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 640 MB
Bus Speed: 100 MHz

OS X 10.4.11 Tiger [the highest 10.4 Tiger version]

Hard Drive Model: IBM-IC25N040ATCS04-0
Protocol: ATA
Capacity: 37.26 GB
Available: 25.73 GB
OS9 Drivers: Yes
File System: Journaled HFS+

Optical drive: SONY CD-RW/DVD-ROM CRX820E [plays but does not write DVDs]
Reads DVD: Yes, with included Apple DVD player [inconsistently plays DVD]
CD-Write: -R, -RW [consistently writes well to CD-R]
FireWire Bus: Maximum Speed: Up to 400 Mb/sec
Safari version 4.0
Opera version 9.64
Wireless Card Type: AirPort
Wireless Card Firmware Version: 9.52
V.92 modem if you need dialup

ALSO, can't figure out how to open DVD slot. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
*SNIP*
ALSO, can't figure out how to open DVD slot. Thanks!

is there a CD/DVD in it ? right-click and choose Eject or drag it to the trash and it will be ejected..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
Hello, just to let you know, you don't need X-code to run Gimp, it's X11 which is included on the 10.4 disc.
See GIMP - Downloads for more details.
If you can't get it installed from the disc you can download it from Apple (for free).

Hope this helps,

Cheers :)

Hugh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
and/or try Seashore just saw it in a Mac suggested software listing... not sure how much of what you want it can do or not, but it's free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alMB, 2.0C2D, 2GB, 500GB, SD, etc
Hello, just to let you know, you don't need X-code to run Gimp, it's X11 which is included on the 10.4 disc.
See GIMP - Downloads for more details.
If you can't get it installed from the disc you can download it from Apple (for free).

I was gonna say, no way you'd have to "buy" X-code just to run GIMP. +1 for this

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OsX 10.4.11 G3 iBook
When I went over to apple's site to download Xcode, its said I must register as a developer in order to download. Also, it gave a price of $99. :p Apple either changed their policy, or some people were getting around this. Also, I was not finding a x11 download EXCEPT through the same route for xcode. I even looked at rapidshare type sites. But, because apple now charges, I wasn't sure how legal that would be, even if the software itself is free. They are still charging for the rights to download. :(

Anyways, because I can't get drive open, I can't install from dvd. I do have an Ubuntu disc and would just boot live from disc and use xchat, gimp from there, but can't. (Xchat I use because I can change background/texts colors to what works better for me for readability, which is bright blue text on black. :lol:) Not a priority for xchat, because I'm usually on desktop for that.

btw, gimp doesn't have that frames thing I'm looking for. Most software doesn't have that. :p However, gimp would solve my other issue.

DVD issue: I have no dvd in drive. I did hit ejectd button but it opened up safari and apple website. :p I tried trashing eject button, can't undo and button isn't in trash either. and dvd still shut. :p Also, eject button now does not exist in dock and can't find it. Rolls eyes

ps. (you guys need better smilies. no offense. nothing fancy, just missing eyes that roll, and its too hard to see what the face is doing. the eyes blend in with the face. Useless for me with my eyesite, if i want to read someone elses smilie use. :( Perhaps smilies with BLACK lines/eyes, etc on yellow? )

Thanks!

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OsX 10.4.11 G3 iBook
have you looked into Pixelmator ? Pixelmator

I am trying free trial of pixilator now. That would probably work for any issue I have. I don't know if it has the frames, but it does have everything else. AND its a price I can afford in a 4 weeks. Thanks!

Now, to get my dvd thing to pop open.

UPDATE: It does not have Frames, at least in the demo version. So, if I can get gimp to work, then will probably stick with it. Gimp is free. However, I would consider buying Pixelmater in few months, because it does have some feature I'd use that Gimp doesn't have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
I am trying free trial of pixilator now. That would probably work for any issue I have. I don't know if it has the frames, but it does have everything else. AND its a price I can afford in a 4 weeks. Thanks!

glad i could help...

tpgames said:
Now, to get my dvd thing to pop open.

mine is just a slot w/o "door", so probably different than yours...

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OsX 10.4.11 G3 iBook
Another forum, gave me the correct search terms to use. I found BeLight Software that has Image Tricks that does have a cool frame effect that works. Its still using color, but I can change that color, and the combination actually gives me a one step click. However, it doesn't have the quick key short cut that would make it truely faster.

Now to go google how to open dvd on g3 when it won't open. :p

UPDATE: :D SUCCESS!!! I noticed a little pin hole. I forgot these things even existed! However, i used a pin to force drive open. Now, to see if eject button will reinstall on dock. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Just to be clear there are multiple levels of developer - you can sign up for the free version and get everything you need for X11/Gimp and/or developing. The $99 is basically to get access to pre-release software and tech support. There is also premiere and select but I digress.

Xcode is free and so is X11 - and they can be installed from the disks that come with your Mac - or you can download from the developer section at Apple.

You could use macports to install gimp too
The MacPorts Project -- Home

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
How about The GIMP?
Or SeaShore?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OsX 10.4.11 G3 iBook
Success! My friend went over to the apple site and found a the link for X11 without the 'developer sign up' requirement. :p

Also, I do think that Apple needs to fix their website, as their search button does not work for people like me. It gives me the wrong results, the wrong page, and requires X11 instead of x11. Or, I couldn't see it on the page when I did search under the downloads search option. And, to browse their downloads. Oh that is beyond IDIOTIC! No page numbers. Just Next, Next, Next. For 180 times just to get to the end of the alphabet? Nuts! Fire the webmaster!
:p

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How about The GIMP?
Or SeaShore?

Please take note of the previous replies before submitting yours. Both of those have already been suggested. Thanks...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
Great ! I'd forgotten about Image Tricks, it is good with frames, but quite slow applying them on a G3 if I remember.

As for CD tray opening, you just hold the F12 key down until it pops open.
If I'm following you correctly and that's what you were doing, but instaed it opened up Safari with that key, then somebody has changed the shortcut keys in System Preferences.

To get your eject icon onto the top menu bar try this How to Add Icons to Your OS X Menu Bar

Cheers :)

Hugh

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OsX 10.4.11 G3 iBook
Thanks for the info! I'm definately going to check that site out. I'll also have a looksy at system preferences. I bought this laptop used, from a fellow Ubuntu friend, as I needed a laptop with wi-fi for coffee houses.

My friend who lives in another state, did find the correct link for X11 for me. He has agreed to do all my research for me when I need to find a specific download. :D For some reason, I kept getting the developer's choose $ option. :p And, it turns out, I do have X11 on my computer. :lol:

When I click on the gimp.app, it asks for a helper application. clicking Terminal before didn't help me any, as it requires a different code than what I'm used to. However, I now have MacPort installed.

I am reading the MacPort manual as to how to install Gimp from wtihin Macport. I'm going to the next Ubuntu meeting, so will have the experts install Xchat and Gimp on my Mac for me. I am used to Ubuntu Terminal commands to a point. apt-get gimp did not work on the Mac. :lol: I'll also get a quicky lesson on how to use Gimp on a Mac, as I'm not so sure its as intuitive as using it on Ubuntu. ;)

Thanks everyone!

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OsX 10.4.11 G3 iBook
eject.menu does not exist. I did a system search for it. :( I HAD tossed the icon in the trash. When I looked in trash, it did not exist, and an undo was not an option. However, apparently caps lock + ^F12 ejects. So, this will work for me. I found it completely by accident, trying to hit the Shift key to create a short cut. :lol: I did do a eject search too. Gave me stuffit and bean. And, a google search says that "eject.menu does not exist" is not found. :lol: I'll have to see if the Ubuntu guy has the disc for the Mac. I don't think he does. :|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Macports (and fink too) act like apt. Once you have macports installed
Code:
port search gimp
port install gimp

Macports is a little more like geentoo because you need to compile the ports for your machine, but to the end user it just looks like it takes longer. It still does dependency checking.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.