Macbook Pro 15" i5 Review by me :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Hey guys and gals,
I just got the MBP 2.4GHz i5 and I must say it's a rip roarer!

Display
I went for the standard resolution display.
After spending some time comparing side by side, the high resolution Vs the standard resolution, I could see that I would need a magnifying glass to use the high resolution display, and I didn't want to have to sacrifice image quality to enlarge the text and images, or use 3rd party software to tweak it. This would have defeated the purpose of having the high resolution display in my humble opinion.
The display on this baby is nothing short of brilliant.
Crisp, clear, vibrant, and alive

Performance
Have only good things to say about it!
Fast, quiet, great battery life, and running temp is cool.

Rating out of 10
9.5/10

Where it loses .5 is that you can't control the sensitivity of the trackpad tapping, but that may come up in an update

For anyone considering one, I would highly recommend it, and if you are thinking about spending that extra money to get the 15" i7, this is certainly worth a look at.

YouTube - 2.4 GHz Core i5 or Core i7 2.66 GHz MacBook Pro? i5 vs i7 Benchmarks & Which one you should get!

Regards
Kane

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Would help if you told everyone what you use your MBP for. Might help other people who do the same things or different things gauge your review better.

OP
6string
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Would help if you told everyone what you use your MBP for. Might help other people who do the same things or different things gauge your review better.

Indeed :)

As well as your everyday tasks (email, surfing, word processing etc), I use it for recording music.
I plug in guitars, keyboards, etc and run multiple tracks, with multiple songs open, so I can cut and paste different sections from different versions of my songs, as well as multiple applications running, and have suffered not a drop of lagging.
No hint of a spinning ball other than when I have opened an app for the first time.

Everything has not only been running smoothly, but the sound quality has been fantastic, I suspect due to the temps staying so low.
I have not yet played with video editing, as I don't do it professionally, but I have no doubt that when I do, I am going to see nothing but good results.

Once again, any questions, I will be more than happy to answer.

:)

Edit: I should add photo editing and viewing photos and videos!
All I can say is wow!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Sounds awesome dude! Congrats and use it in good health (as my grandparents would always say).

Doug

OP
6string
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Doug, my grandparents and my father used to say that too :)
It really is a rip roarer.... After all my year using Macs, I really have to say, they outdid themselves with this one.
The quality of the display .....I should add, that I use it in front of windows, outdoors, etc., and even though being glossy and reflecting the background, with it's vibrant definition, and amazing brightness, it is still so viewable, it is surprising!
Initially I was going to go for the anti glare.
It isn't flat, but is instead, semi gloss.
The high definition factor with it's downfalls as pre-mentioned above, as well as not as much vibrancy as the glossy display, it was a no brainer for me.
After getting the standard res display that I went for, I have no regrets whatsoever, in fact, am pleasantly surprised. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I think my next machine will be a new iMac. As much as I'd love a new MBP, I'm not sure of what kind of $ loss I'd take selling one of my MBP's. Plus I don't really do eBay/PayPal, so that kind of puts the kaibash on the selling part.

You said that the new matte screens aren't flat. They're not the same ones as on previous MBP's ? My 08' 15" one has the matte screen and I love it. I actually prefer the color vs my 09' 13" MBP to be honest. And do you really think that if you simply enlarged the icons on your screen by doing the pinch thing that the resolution would suffer ? I don't see why that would be.

Doug

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Congrats! I'd really like to go look at the new ones. Have been afraid, especially considering, unbelievably so, that my now 3 1/2 year old one has given me no reason at all to abandon it.

Aside from the Commodore, have never had another computer that made it 2 years as my primary machine.

OP
6string
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would have gone the iMac if I weren't so used to being able to move from room to room so easily, yet alone taking it out when teaching guitar.
The new matte screens are semi gloss.... where as the old ones were totally flat! They have the gloss with a little less glare.
If you compare it to paint, you have matte, gloss, and semi gloss. The new matte screens are like semi gloss paint, compared to the older matte screens, which were like matte paint.
The new matte is only available in high res.
Side by side, it wasn't even a consideration, when looking at the vibrancy of the gloss screen, and adding into that the size of text and images, it wasn't even a question.
When I played with the pinch, and control zoom, as well as the settings, the quality suffered so much it wasn't funny.
If I had the chance to try something like tinker tool and test out how that effects the size of text and images, I would still have gone with the standard res.

"And do you really think that if you simply enlarged the icons on your screen by doing the pinch thing that the resolution would suffer ? I don't see why that would be."
It's a pixel thing.... I don't really understand why, as much as I've had it explained to me, and that's why I went to do my own side by side test.

Bobtomay,
I wasn't planning on it, but the liquid around Macs that I spend so much time warning people against.... it got me.
I fell asleep on my couch with my MB not on it's stand, and a beer next to it on the table in front of me, and yes.... during my sleep the inevitable happened :)
So, I was forced into the purchase that I wasn't planning for quite some time.
It was a blessing in disguise.
I've played with all the Macbook Pros up until this one, and they didn't have enough oomf to make the upgrade worth it just yet.
In this instance, I am so glad that it was a cloud in silver lining :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That's a drag on one hand and a blessing on the other... Yeah, that could get me too. I've been known to fall asleep in the recliner with the MBP on my lap and a drink in my hand.

OP
6string
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know whether to post a :D or a :Smirk: or maybe a :Angry: or perhaps a O:)
Either way, it's definitely a :Blushing:

Reaction score
pickier pea

I finally purchased my MBP 15 i5 this morning after about 2 hours of no kidding, selecting the 13 MBP and then deleting, adding the 15, and then removing it. Could not decide and finally decided I wanted a bigger screen, so one last time added the 15 to the cart and purchased. Super excited with the choice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.