cannot share files between imac and pc

Reaction score
I have the reverse problem. XP Home PC can see the Mac but the Mac won't let me get to the PC without a username/password and I don't have one on the PC. How do you rectify that? JS

I read this on a previous post but no one answered it. I have the same problem on my new Mac OS X 10.6.3. When I go to FINDER, it see's my pc. However the little window under it says connecting. And then says failed to connect. When I click GO, connect to server, it as for me to enter the user name and password. My pc has no username and password. If I leave it blank, it won't let me press the connect button. Bottom line, How do I access my shared folder on my pc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" Glossy 2.16 gHz/2gig/320g
Having the same issue here. Brief history- With a fresh install of Win XP Pro SP2, I was able to connect my Mac ( 10.5.7 ) and PC. I was able to grab files from the PC and copy back to the Mac with ease. Now, it won't happen. I can see the PC in Finder, but get the error shown below. When I go to the PC, I can connect to the Mac and open and copy files from the Mac back to the PC! Short of formatting the hard drive and re-installing XP on the PC, whats up?????
EDIT: I do NOT connect this network to the internet. It is all wired and the router is new, never been connected to the internet. Not sure if that matters, but thought I would add it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" Glossy 2.16 gHz/2gig/320g
Just a quick update here.... was able to fix my problem although it may have been overkill. I just formatted the HD on the PC and reloaded Win XP Pro SP2 and did not let it perform any updates other than manually downloading IE7 since the main program I built the computer for needs that to work.

I was able to successfully tether my camera to the MBP and load the photos directly into the folder on the PC in order to display them in the viewing program they are intended for.... so far so good.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.