when transporting your macbook..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.4ghz i5 Macbook Pro
how many of you turn it off completely? or just let it sleep (so that you have the pulsating white light)?..

I've heard people recommending to turn it off completely that way there can be no damage to the HD but doesn't the HD stop spinning and go to sleep as soon as the computer does?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I put mine to sleep. Always. Have been doing this for years and things have been fine. I can see the reasoning with the disk and things, but with frequent backups I just don't sweat it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP mid 2009 - 2.8 ghz 4 GB Ram, 500 gb HDD ; iPhone 3G 16GB White , iPhone 4 32GB Black,
It depends if I am only bringing it to school, then sometimes I will just leave it on sleep, however if I am traveling then I will turn it off completely.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I let it sleep while I transport myself and my Mac to school. Via bike and messenger bag for almost 2 years now. No problems with it waking up or anything. >_>"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
rarely ever turn mine off. These things are designed to run 24x7.

Reaction score
I tend to switch my machine off overnight. And, yes, there will be no damage to the hard drive when the machine is moved while sleeping. Switching it off provides no advantage in this regard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.