• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Boxee Box - what the heck?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
This is the back of a Boxee Box

boxee-box-d-link.jpg

And this is the front of a Boxee Box.
boxee-box-d-link-2.jpg

And yes the pictures do not lie. It is a box with it's corner chopped off.
My whole point is like what the heck? First the name. Boxee Box. Very inspired there not. Then you have the design of the product itself. Sure it's just in essence like a sub par Apple TV. But it's so weird. It's like the designers who designed it were seriously on the grog the day they came up with that design.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I haven't looked into HTPC-type set-ups much, but I want to do one eventually. I've heard great things about Boxee and Google TV looks really good. Apple TV just never appealed to me since I could just hook up my MBP and get all Apple TV does and more.

With a little work, I've heard that XBMC is pretty much the best setup you can possibly have for home theater.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I would hardly call Boxee a subpar AppleTV. I would suggest trying it out, it's actually very functional. If I wasn't already so invested in Windows Media Player, I would totally be using something like Boxee or Xbmc.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I think the design is neat, but it doesn't take into consideration how it will be used. I mean, think about where your TV is placed. Where the h-e-double hockey sticks would you put it?

I've been in the market for one of these things too. I just bought a WDTV Live the other day. Looks like that will do exactly what I need it to.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.