iMac won't let me burn a DVD

Reaction score
I have been trying to burn some home movies onto a DVD that I can watch on a television but have been having no success.

I have tried iDVD and Xilisoft DVD Creator and both have gotten all the way to the last few minutes of burning before I get a 'xxx has shut down unexpectedly' message.

I'm guessing it must be the iMac that is the problem as 2 separate programs breaking at the same point seems a bit too much of a coincidence.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
What format are the DVD's in? Are they Video_TS files?
Also, what program are you using for burning, and what brand of discs?
Finally, have you tried cleaning the laser?

OP
LouFace
Reaction score
aprils powertul

What format are the DVD's in? Are they Video_TS files?
Also, what program are you using for burning, and what brand of discs?
Finally, have you tried cleaning the laser?

Erm... I set it to burn them in PAL if thats what you mean. They are AVI files - my friend has a camcorder that converts the video to AVI to make it easier to put on a computer.

As I wrote in my OP I have used iDVD and Xilisoft DVD Creator. The DVD's are some brand called Bulkpaq.

I wouldn't know where to start cleaning the laser.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Ok. To make the AVI's play on a DVD player, you need to convert them to MPEG2 (unless your DVD player supports AVI - some do).
Once you have done that you can then use disk utility to burn DVD, or Burn - a free burning utility.
Bulkpaq are generally fine.
I would suggest using ffmpegx or handbrake to convert the files, and if you have several that you want to stitch together as 1 then definitely ffmpegx.
Once converted you can burn them as you would a normal DVD.

Regarding cleaning the laser (which I don't think is the issue now) you can buy DVD based lens cleaners for £10, and they do a good job. It's best to clean once a month or so, depending how much burning you do, or how many discs you read.

OP
LouFace
Reaction score
Ok. To make the AVI's play on a DVD player, you need to convert them to MPEG2 (unless your DVD player supports AVI - some do).
Once you have done that you can then use disk utility to burn DVD, or Burn - a free burning utility.
Bulkpaq are generally fine.
I would suggest using ffmpegx or handbrake to convert the files, and if you have several that you want to stitch together as 1 then definitely ffmpegx.
Once converted you can burn them as you would a normal DVD.

Regarding cleaning the laser (which I don't think is the issue now) you can buy DVD based lens cleaners for £10, and they do a good job. It's best to clean once a month or so, depending how much burning you do, or how many discs you read.

Downloaded ffmpegx and converted it into MPEG2. Downloaded Burn and burnt the disk as 'DVD' and the DVD player is showing unknown disk. No DVD player will recognise it and even the computer is spitting it out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2 x 2.8Ghz Xeon, 6gb RAM, 64gb SSD, ATI 6670 | MacBook (2008 2.2Ghz, 2gb RAM 160gb HD)
I had a problem like this, only with my MacBook, Try repairing the disk permissions of the HD.

Open up 'Disk Utility' (/Applications/utilities/"Disk Utility")

Select 'Macintosh HD' and 'Repair Disk Permissions'

I know this sounds silly but it did resolve my issue, so it might do the same for you...

Edit: also wouldn't it be better to use something like iDVD to make a DVD ?

OP
LouFace
Reaction score
1950'2 romance

I have tried iDVD and Xilisoft DVD Creator and both have gotten all the way to the last few minutes of burning before I get a 'xxx has shut down unexpectedly' message.

Why can no one read this? Have I written it in a different language by accident?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No. That error just doesn't mean anything specific at all.
Do as was suggested with permissions.
It could still be the discs, especially as nothing will recognise it, or an issue with the finalising of the disc when you burned it. Did you verify the disc when burning?

OP
LouFace
Reaction score
No. That error just doesn't mean anything specific at all.
Do as was suggested with permissions.
It could still be the discs, especially as nothing will recognise it, or an issue with the finalising of the disc when you burned it. Did you verify the disc when burning?

It wasn't in response to the unexpected error it was to 'shouldn't you use something like iDVD'.

Anyway... I didn't do anything after clicking burn. It just started burning and then said burn complete and ejected the DVD.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
How new is the iMac? I am also wondering if there is an issue with the DVD Drive.

What options did you select in Burn? I never really use Burn but always use Toast (Roxio). Did you set Burn to make a DVD? What are the files that FFMpeg made? Video_TS or something else?

I have a feeling Burn is not making a normal DVD that is playable on a set top DVD player.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.