Buying a Powermac Tomorrow

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
im buying a powermac tomorrow!!!!!

just need to that last payment on the CC to clear which should happen by then...

going to be getting the dual 2.7 with stock ram and upgrading once i get it...usin my old dell monitor and a newish keyboard and what not

my only questions are:
which video card should i get???
can i run dual monitors?

edit: it looks like it would be beneficial to upgrade to 1gig for 90 bucks??? also seem to be thinking about getting bluetooth (and then pick up a bluetooth keyboard and mouse)

-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
First off congrats on your purchase!

You DEFINITELY want that $100 1gig memory upgrade... It will make a huge difference and that price isn't too bad to upgrade to 2x512 instead of 2x256... Any more memory than that and I would buy it third party.

You should be able to run dual monitors on either of the stock video cards that are available from Apple. I don't know that I would spend $450 on the nVidia unless I planned to get a 30" cinema display.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Congrats on your pending purchase. I want one. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
lol i am jelous i want one too

X

xthisisRomancex

about the upgrade ram...i would order ram from some where else for 100 bucks you could have a total of 1.5 gigs ( assuming 512K comes with it if i remeber correctly) instead of just 1gig.. if u order ur powermac and then go to a third part site and order ur ram in most cases ur ram will still come to ur house first.. so u wouldnt have to "wait" on the ram.

OP
coach_z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i think my main issue is this now:
4x512 or 2x1gig sticks of memory?
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
Well considering it has 8 slots, if you want to take the cheaper option that would be fine, but there is more expansion available if you get 2Gbs, obviously...
Thanks
Alex

I

inwoodarmy

Congrats on the new PowerMac.

I bought one a few weeks ago (Dual 2.0 with 20inch Monitor) - having bought a second hand ibook a year ago just to test migrating everything over from windows. I can tell you that you will not be disappointed.

I think the question on Dual Monitor... you will be OK as the 2.7 come with the top end graphics card... the ATI Radeon 9650 with 256MB RAM.

Hope all goes well.

Gary

S

spong

When I bought mine, I got a DVI-VGA convertor with it, and I made an ADC-VGA convertor myself. It runs 2 monitors fine, I have a pair of 17" Samsungs.

OP
coach_z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
spong said:
When I bought mine, I got a DVI-VGA convertor with it, and I made an ADC-VGA convertor myself. It runs 2 monitors fine, I have a pair of 17" Samsungs.

WOOT!!! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.