How do i change the default WiFi to a new one?

Reaction score
Ok, i am back in the UK for a week or it could be 6 months. I have had my MBP 15" since last nov and this is the first time i have been on a quick connection with it as at my home in Thailand i use 2 G dongle :Shouting:

I now have a quick as **** WiFi connection where i will be staying n Scotland. The default connection is still the old 2G dongle, obviously i have the key for the WiFi connection i am on.

I have got the box ticked so that i connect automatically to the WiFi in the house, but any time i close the lid and put it to sleep, then wake it up again, sometimes it asks me for the key again.

This is a very minor problem, in fact it's not even a real problem, but i am very NOT good at anything to do with computers, so i would like to both learn how to change my MBP so the WiFi i am on my default connection...................and the biggest reason i ask this question is i am very paranoid about messing about with settings as i did that with my last PC laptop and buggered it up completely and for the 3 years i had it it never worked properly because of me.

So any advice is welcome gents and ladies..........

OP
Bahja
Reaction score
Worked it out myself with out blowing up the west coast of Scotland!!!

:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Worked it out myself with out blowing up the west coast of Scotland!!!

:)

Please share what you did so it could help out others who may be having the same problem! :)

OP
Bahja
Reaction score
Please share what you did so it could help out others who may be having the same problem! :)

Drank 18 shots of Whiskey................

Ermmmm, i went into system preferences> network, then deleted all the other WiFi spots from around the World that my MBP and it seems that the house WiFi is now my default.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBPU 13" (Late '09); 2.53GHz 4GB; OSX 10.6.3
Ermmmm, i went into system preferences> network, then deleted all the other WiFi spots from around the World that my MBP and it seems that the house WiFi is now my default.

That's one way to solve it :D. The downside of this approach is that you lose all your other WiFi network-data. So for next time, you can also change the order of the WiFi list.

Under System Preferences -> Network -> Select Airport from the list -> Advanced... and then in the list of Preferred networks, move them in the order you wish to use them. When trying to connect, OSX will try them first to last, depending on availability.

OP
Bahja
Reaction score
That's one way to solve it :D. The downside of this approach is that you lose all your other WiFi network-data. So for next time, you can also change the order of the WiFi list.

Under System Preferences -> Network -> Select Airport from the list -> Advanced... and then in the list of Preferred networks, move them in the order you wish to use them. When trying to connect, OSX will try them first to last, depending on availability.

Thanks a lot. I am a very simple user on my MBP compared to you guys judging by the posts on here.

I like simple when it comes to computers as i am not that good with them and don't use them for much other than looking about online, downloading music, and sending Emails. That's about it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.