Hard Drive and Core.

Reaction score
Hello im looking to buy my first apple laptop ( MBP 15 ) but there is few things i don't understand

First: what the diference between Intel Core i5 and Intel Core i7?

Second: hard drive options:

# 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
# 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm [Add $50.00]
# 128GB Solid State Drive [Add $200.00]
# 256GB Solid State Drive [Add $650.00]
# 512GB Solid State Drive [Add $1,300.00]

whats the pros and cons of each option?

i really wanna order my laptop but cant really figure out

Thank you,

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
i5 doesn't have hyper-threading. The drives XXXX RPM is faster or slower. Depending on the maker of the HDD it can draw more energy. Faster produce more heat. The SSD don't have any moving parts. Gets slower over time the more you use it. It's not recommended to defrag them cause apparently that makes it worst.

OP
S
Reaction score
SSD: Gets slower over time the more you use it?

does that makes it huge disadvantage ?

now why SSD price is sky high compared to HDD

and what do you beleive the best option for me ?

( HDD or SDD ? i5 or i7 ? )

( im collage student , i like programming java/C++ and regular youtube videos and browsing )

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
SSD: Gets slower over time the more you use it?

does that makes it huge disadvantage ?

now why SSD price is sky high compared to HDD

and what do you beleive the best option for me ?

( HDD or SDD ? i5 or i7 ? )

( im collage student , i like programming java/C++ and regular youtube videos and browsing )

You don't need the top of the line processor for that kind of stuff. The i5 will be more than enough to suit your needs.

The no moving parts on the SSD is one of the factors in pricing. Plus it is relatively new technology that is still in development.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Unless you absolutely need what an SSD offers, you probably don't need one. You should be fine with a regular SATA drive. As to whether or not to get a 7200 RPM drive over a 5400 RPM drive, that will be a personal choice. The 7200 RPM drives are faster but depending on what you do, the difference may or may not be noticeable.

Reaction score
i5 doesn't have hyper-threading. The drives XXXX RPM is faster or slower. Depending on the maker of the HDD it can draw more energy. Faster produce more heat. The SSD don't have any moving parts. Gets slower over time the more you use it. It's not recommended to defrag them cause apparently that makes it worst.

He's asking about Apple "notebook"; MacBook Pros. I believe you are thinking about the i5 Quad Core for desktop. All mobile versions of Core i5 have hyper-threading. Only the write speed of a SSD will slow down over a period of time (depending upon usage).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.