iPhone 3GS on t-mobile

Reaction score
How does an unlocked iPhone 3GS work with t-mobile? I know there's only 2G speeds and no visual voicemail, but is there anything else you'll lack?

Also, can you unlock an iPhone 3GS but not jailbreak it? And how would you go about getting the new OS's when they come out? Thanks.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If your iPhone is out of contract with AT&T, you can ask them to unlock it for you and one that's done, you can move it to T-Mobile, with the restrictions you mentioned. When a new OS comes out, you'd just download it in iTunes and then perform the update..the OS updates are not pushed over the air..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Further more you will only get 2G speeds and no visual voicemail everything else will work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
If your iPhone is out of contract with AT&T, you can ask them to unlock it for you and one that's done, you can move it to T-Mobile, with the restrictions you mentioned. When a new OS comes out, you'd just download it in iTunes and then perform the update..the OS updates are not pushed over the air..

Regards

So AT&T will unlock it for you? I'm asking since I'm thinking of giving my 3G to my daughter when I get an iPhone 4 and she's on T-Mobile.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
So AT&T will unlock it for you? I'm asking since I'm thinking of giving my 3G to my daughter when I get an iPhone 4 and she's on T-Mobile.

As far as I know At&t has not and will not unlock any iPhone. You will need to go through a 3rd party for the unlock, I'm sure you can figure it out it's very easy to do. :)

PM me if you need help.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I'm hearing that AT&T won't unlock it..which just seems strange..cuz if you paid the original price to start the service, stuck with them for 2 years to fulfill your contract, you essentially own the phone at that point. THey had no problems giving me the unlock code for the Blackjack II that I later sold..so why should the iPhone be any different??

A call to AT&T would clear this up though..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
ATT will unlock any device after a certain amount of time except with the iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ATT will unlock any device after a certain amount of time except with the iPhone.

That's the reason why the hackers are constantly trying to come up with a new unlock.

It's interesting in most other countries Apple or the carrier will unlock the iPhone either at the end of the contract or for a fee. And it's a permanent unlock.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Doesn't even have to be a certain amount of time. All you need to do is call a specific ATT number (I've done this) and tell them that you're going on an extended trip over seas, and will need to unlock your phone so that you don't accrue incredible international data fees. They usually get you unlocked within 24-48 hours (with the code).

I hadn't tried this with an iPhone, but it's likely true that they won't do it in that case. Still can't hurt to try though..

Doug

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. So I'm looking to buy a 3GS then unlock it to t-mobile. I heard that not all 3GS's can be unlocked. Is this true? And if so, what should I look for when buying a 3GS. People down here are trying to sell unlocked versions for $200 so I'd rather just unlock it myself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the advice guys. So I'm looking to buy a 3GS then unlock it to t-mobile. I heard that not all 3GS's can be unlocked. Is this true? And if so, what should I look for when buying a 3GS. People down here are trying to sell unlocked versions for $200 so I'd rather just unlock it myself.

After June 24th or 25th the unlock will be released for all iPhones. From there you can google the process it's very simple takes less than 15 minutes.
As long as your iPhone doesn't have water damage or beat up you should be fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Doesn't even have to be a certain amount of time. All you need to do is call a specific ATT number (I've done this) and tell them that you're going on an extended trip over seas, and will need to unlock your phone so that you don't accrue incredible international data fees. They usually get you unlocked within 24-48 hours (with the code).

I hadn't tried this with an iPhone, but it's likely true that they won't do it in that case. Still can't hurt to try though..

Doug

Ah yes I forgot about that method. I haven't tried it with any phone but I have seen this method posted many times. Thanks for bringing it up!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.