Dock not working properly

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm using 10.4.11 (recently upgraded to this through system update) and for some reason I can't quite applications from holding the mouse on their item picture on the dock and clicking on 'quit' from the menu that pops up with options. In fact when I hold the mouse clicked on an app's icon, the menu pops up but I can't click on anything, nothing even gets highlighted, and I can't get rid of the menu or do the same with another item on the dock. The only way to get rid of this is to click on the apple icon in the top left hand corner of the screen on the top menu bar.

Do you know why this happens? And more importantly how to solve this issue? I want to be able to hold-click on an app's icon in the dock and then select from the options that pop up, it's such a useful little thing to do, which I could do up until recently!

Cheers

Jamie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Why? Not a clue.

Fix? Maybe. Try this:

Go here, find this file:
HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist

Move that file to your Desktop.
Restart. This will make a new default file in Preferences.
Better? If so, you can Trash the file on your Desktop.

There are other things to try if that doesn't work.

OP
F
Reaction score
ah thanks for the fast reply!
for some reason after switching on the mac today, it is now working fine... after a week of frustration...
i'll bare that solution in mind in case it starts playing up again, thanks a lot!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Sometimes all it takes is a Restart to clear out the cobwebs. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.