• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

IMovie

Reaction score
I have created several IMovie 08 projects on my MacBook and want to transfer them to my IMac using my LAN and Sharing. When I do, this the project shows up on my IMac as a MP4 file and it won't download to IMovie 08 on my IMac.

Help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Have you tried changing what opens the file via the Finder 'Get Info' panel?

OP
D
Reaction score
IMovie 08

I changed the file to open with QuickTime Player but it still will not download to IMovie on my desktop IMac.

On my MacBook I select a IMovie project and export it to my MacBook desktop. Then I capture it from my desktop thru my LAN.

Is there a better way to do this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Why are you doing an export? That generates a file to play, not to edit. Double clicking those should do as you first described, open in a player, or possibly iTunes. If that is what you want, then File-->Import-->Movies should work from within iMovie.

If you want to copy the project to another Mac to continue editing it from where you left off, that is a different process that should be a simple drag & drop of the project folder and the related events folders. I think assets used from iPhoto or iTunes maybe tricky though as the project may not know where they are since they are on the first Mac.

OP
D
Reaction score
IMovie o8

I have projects & events on my MacBook that are consuming all my memory. So I want to get them off my MacBook and put them on my IMac to free up my memory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think you mean, they are consuming your hard drive space, not your memory. Typically, memory means RAM (Random Access Memory) which are chips on the computer board.

My second paragraph above answers your question. Just place the project and events files in the same location on your other Mac, then open iMovie to confirm the copy worked by doing some simply playback and edit. Look for a yellow exclamation warning icon too because that will suggest some issue to be resolved.

OP
D
Reaction score
IMovie 08

I hate to be a pest, but how do I place the projects and events from my MacBook onto my IMac?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Go read these three threads; 1, 2, 3. Hopefully that will allow you to understand the layout and what needs to be copied where.

OP
D
Reaction score
IMovie 08

DUH. I finally figured it out. Your advice was correct. Thanks for hanging in there with a slow learner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad to hear you worked it out. I suggest you get an external drive for backup too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.