iPad dilemma...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.4GHz i5 4GB... iPad 64GB WiFi + 3G
I recently bought a 15" MBP for myself which I love and will never leave Apple [apart from Monday - Friday when I have to use Dell :)]... I never thought of buying an iPad as I just spent a lot of money on the MBP and I have seen here that people are "starting to use their MBP less and less" since buying the iPad.

So today I get a phone call form my sister asking me what I wanted for my birthday (next Sunday). I tell her I have no idea, maybe flights somewhere but she said no thats too boring!! Then she said - would you like an iPad!?! I was walking passed a retailer that has iPad's in stock so I popped in and spent 40 minutes playing with one... Now I want one!

I'm trying to rationalise my reasoning for getting one: I do a lot of travelling with work, away from the office at least once a week, staying in hotels and flying to other countries in Europe. I use my iPod nano to watch movies, listen to music while I am travelling... But now I am thinking an iPad would be very cool to watch movies etc!

So I am looking for some honest genuine advice: I would probably get the 32GB Wi-Fi + 3G.
  • Should I get one or not?
  • People who have both MBP & iPad, which are you using more? What do you use iPad for vs use MBP for?
  • Knowing Apple, an upgrade will be made to the iPad within the next 12 months, anybody have and thoughts / premonitions as to what could possible be done to the iPad to improve it?

Any / all advice welcome - the good, bad and the ugly - the more the better!

Thank you kindly!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So today I get a phone call form my sister asking me what I wanted for my birthday (next Sunday). I tell her I have no idea, maybe flights somewhere but she said no thats too boring!! Then she said - would you like an iPad!?

Your sister want's to get you a birthday present...and she wants to get you an iPad!:)

You know you want an iPad (you even said it in your post)...and you know that you don't even have to pay for it since it will be a birthday present!:):)

So why do you need to be convinced!!!

- Nick

OP
Snakedoctor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So why do you need to be convinced!!!

Well now that you put it that way.... It does seem pretty clear cut... But my concern is after paying £1500 for the MBP 5/6 weeks ago will I get addicted to the iPad and use the MP as a door stop??

Oh decisions decisions decisions..... :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Well now that you put it that way.... It does seem pretty clear cut... But my concern is after paying £1500 for the MBP 5/6 weeks ago will I get addicted to the iPad and use the MP as a door stop??

Oh decisions decisions decisions..... :)

If you are worried about using the expensive MBP as a doorstop, you are welcome to send it to me.

Of course, I wouldn't necessarily use it as I love my iPad too much :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes your concern is the iPad will make many of the things you do with your MBP redundant...and possibly (to some degree) invalidate the decision to purchase a MBP 5-6 weeks ago. But that's the way it goes with electronics. New items are released...and these newer items may or may not make other technologies obsolete or partially obsolete.

The announcement that the iPad was going to be released was back in January...with plenty of info since then to give us an idea what it was all about. The iPad was released in the United States in March...and I know that the international release of the iPad was only very recently.

In some ways this was good & bad. The "bad" is folks outside of the United States who wanted an iPad right away, had to wait quite a bit longer for the iPad release. But on the "good" or positive side...folks outside of the United States were also able to see what the experiences were from the United States "guinea pigs" with the iPad...and then make a more informed decision about an iPad purchase.

So what I'm saying is...maybe you could have waited on the purchase of your MBP 5-6 weeks ago...until the iPad was available in your area so you could have made a more informed purchase decision.

But the more important bottom line is...the MBP has been purchased...and there's nothing you can do about that (other than sell the MBP). The iPad is available in your area...you know that you want one...and you can get one for free! So again...there really is no issue!!!:)

If someone wanted to give me a iPad for free (as a birthday present)...why would I say no!!! Other than if purchasing the iPad (as a gift for me) would be a financial burden for them.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I'm in a similar situation, traveling a lot.
I have decided to get the 64 GB Wifi + 3G because IBM released a Lotus Notes App. for the iPad and that means I now have all my company " productivity tools " on the iPad.
Have to wait till July for the iPad to be available in Belgium.
I'll give it a go and see if I can replace the MBP in terms of " productivity "

Cheers ... McBie

OP
Snakedoctor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting... I didn't realise Notes was released on the iPad as an app, that is what my company use!

Then again having a BB, laptop and now an iPad with work email is a bit too much I think... I would be only to happy not to have Notes on iPad and keep it for 'fun' things!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
You will love having one and using it to browse the web on your couch or in bed, but it is far from a replacement for something as powerful as a MBP!
I have used my MBP less since I got the iPad, but mostly because it's new and I want to get used to it and discover its functionality. There's still plenty I need my MBP for that my iPad can't do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iTouch 32 GB 1st Gen, iPad 64GB 3G, 2.8GHZ Quad-Core Intel i7
Totally get a 3G iPad. Only go for 3G. Settle for nothing less. :)

Reaction score
I was in a similar situation recently. I got the iPad (64gb 3G) and have since gotten rid of my Mac entirely! I plan on getting a basic MacBook a little later but for now the ipad is everything i need and the mobility makes it ace! Also, do not get anything BUT the 3G version. I am so glad i have it and would have regretted not getting it. For traveling, nothing beats it!

OP
Snakedoctor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I spent another hour in the shop today - eventually left as I was getting very strange looks from the apple guys!!

Defo think I will get one! I can't see my sister paying the extra £100 for the 3G but I'll put the extra money towards it to get the 3G! Even if I don't use it, I would regret not having it there "just in case"!

Counting down the days till my birthday now.... 7 to go :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I still use my MBP but the iPad is getting a lot of use would not part with either.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I spent another hour in the shop today - eventually left as I was getting very strange looks from the apple guys!!

Defo think I will get one! I can't see my sister paying the extra £100 for the 3G but I'll put the extra money towards it to get the 3G! Even if I don't use it, I would regret not having it there "just in case"!

Counting down the days till my birthday now.... 7 to go :)

Congrats on deciding!:)

By the way...I'm really confused why you were making such a BIG deal about getting this iPad...since your main issue seemed to revolve around how much your 5-6 week old 15" MBP would get used if you had an iPad.

Looking at your profile...you have the following Macintosh computers:

- MBP 17" 2.8GHz
- MacPro 2x 2.26GHz Quad, 11GB, 2TB
- iMac 27" 3.06GHz
- MBP 15" 2.4GHz i5

Since you already had a 2.8ghz 17" MBP before the 15" MBP was purchased...it wouldn't seem you needed a 2nd laptop. And you have two VERY capable & powerful desktop computers!:)

I certainly have nothing against owning lots of Mac computers...I'm just a little confused why all the "drama" considering the great computers you own:)...and your concern that the new 15" MBP wouldn't get used much if you got an iPad. With those 4 GREAT Macintosh computers (plus an iPad)...I can see all 4 of the computers not getting used much (with or without the iPad).

Again...congrats on your decision. I pretty much figured you would get it!:)

- Nick

OP
Snakedoctor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Point taken Nick....

The i5MBP is solely mine which I bought as a treat following the purchase of all the other machines.

The other machines are based in my office - I created a new Innovation office for my R&D team and kitted it all out with Mac's as they are the best for running the software required to "innovate" what they need to!

So technically I don't have the use for them everyday or at will but I like to consider them my babies... Probably also showing off a small but who cares when it comes to Mac...

Personally, once I start to use the iPad I can see myself picking up another 3/4 for the office for presentations / demos etc... Also the guys will probably demand some!

Is there any further update about the limits on purchasing 10 iPads in a lifetime - 2 per transaction or is that all just speculation?

Regards

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Point taken Nick....

The i5MBP is solely mine which I bought as a treat following the purchase of all the other machines.

The other machines are based in my office - I created a new Innovation office for my R&D team and kitted it all out with Mac's as they are the best for running the software required to "innovate" what they need to!

So technically I don't have the use for them everyday or at will but I like to consider them my babies... Probably also showing off a small but who cares when it comes to Mac...

Thanks for clarifying. With so many nice Mac's listed in your profile...it at first seemed a little confusing why someone would be "fussing" so much about getting an iPad...and worried that a recently purchased MBP would not see much use.

It makes total sense if the other Mac's are in your office or workplace environment. And hey...if you paid for them (but they're in your office)...you still have access to them for your use...so that certainly still counts in my book as them being "your Mac's"!:)

I think that you're going to enjoy that iPad (especially since it will be a "mostly free" birthday gift):)...and you will still find uses for your 5-6 week old MBP!:)

- Nick

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Said the man with 34 Macs and counting! :D

Ha ha! EXACTLY why I included that statement in my earlier post!;)

Of course if I was going to get an iPad (and I definitely intend on getting one eventually)...I wouldn't be concerned that my other 34 Macintosh computers wouldn't see much use because of the new iPad!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Interesting... I didn't realise Notes was released on the iPad as an app, that is what my company use!

Then again having a BB, laptop and now an iPad with work email is a bit too much I think... I would be only to happy not to have Notes on iPad and keep it for 'fun' things!

Apparently Lotus Notes for iPad will be available for existing licenses of Lotus Notes .... check this out
Lotus Notes comes to the iPad - V3.co.uk - formerly vnunet.com

I'll keep you informed.

Cheers ... McBie

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Of course if I was going to get an iPad (and I definitely intend on getting one eventually)...I wouldn't be concerned that my other 34 Macintosh computers wouldn't see much use because of the new iPad!;)

- Nick

I agree. Honestly, if the iPad had just a little more functionality (coming in OS 4.0 maybe) I would almost never use my MBP, and I really loved it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree. Honestly, if the iPad had just a little more functionality (coming in OS 4.0 maybe) I would almost never use my MBP, and I really loved it.

I do mostly use my computers for e-mail & internet...so an iPad would fit my uses very nicely...and probably be a complete laptop or desktop replacement. For my uses...gaming would be the only thing an iPad couldn't replace.

I'm talking older games or newer games not available for the iPad. Plus sometimes playing a game on a 24" monitor with a good set of speakers an iPad really can't replace!:) But I'm REALLY not that big of a gamer...so an iPad is going to fit my "normal" everyday computer uses very nicely!

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.