Safari 5 - disable search suggestions?

Reaction score
Back in the days of Safari 3 and the beta version of Safari 4, it was possible to disable the search suggestions in the google search bar -- quite handy when using inquisitor. Does anybody know whether Safari 5 reintroduces this option?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, but if you install the "Glims" plugin, it has that option. Glims is free.

BTW, development and updates for "inquisitor" have apparently ceased. It's too bad because it was one of my favorite plugins for Safari.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
I know, about Inquisitor. It's a shame, but the old version still works and I've just been able to install the latest version on a Snow Leopard 10.6.3/Safari 5 install. About Glims, I wonder how they do that. I'm not so happy with installing another input manager (seeing as how I'm using Saft already), so that makes me wonder whether it's possible to retrieve and use the piece of code Glims uses to do that. Any ideas? Is Glims FOSS?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How did you install Inquisitor in Safari 5? It wouldn't even install in Safari 4, let alone 5. Unless you did some work arounds - it's not compatible. That's why I'm using Glims.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
I've had trouble with installing Inquisitor myself, and happened to stumble upon a way to do it by accident. Thing is, it never stopped working on my older system, even though I kept updating it, so that I had Inquisitor running on 10.6.3 with Safari 4 and later 5. On the freshly installed system, you're right, a regular install doesn't work. Here's the workaround I used:

1) Get a system with a working Inquisitor install (Computer A)
2) Download Inquisitor to the computer where you want to install Inquisitor (Computer B).
3) Copy folder /Library/InputManagers/Inquisitor from Computer A to Computer B
4) Run the standard Inquisitor install procedure on Computer B

I have no idea why this worked for me, because running the install changed the time stamp on the files in /Library/InputManagers/Inquisitor. Also, I can't guarantee that it'll work for everyone. I am interested in your experiences, though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.