about changing wallpaper

Reaction score
Suppose I went to a website with firefox, and there is a picture, I control click it, and set it as desktop background.

i found out that mac will automatically save the picture in the "Picture" folder.
but how come after I delete the picture, the wallpaer is still there?

I assume there must be some reference left behind in the system?
where can i find it and completely "clean" if off?

thx

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
System Preferences -> Desktop & Screensaver. Highlight the picture and press the minus button.

Regards.

OP
W
Reaction score
System Preferences -> Desktop & Screensaver. Highlight the picture and press the minus button.

Regards.
The picture got deleted already, I couldn't see it in SYstem Preferences -> Desktop & screensaver, but my wallpaper still not changed.

I know where to change my wallpaper, I just want to know why mac doesn't change back to the default wallpaper right away once the picture has been deleted.

So, I am assuming there is still a reference to that picture even I delete it...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Best I can tell with 10.6, when you just right click on a pic in your web browser and set as desktop, the pic is not downloaded onto the machine. It uses a link to the pic. If you also download the pic, but the background was set as a link - then deleting the pic will do nothing.

Had not set a background like this probably in 2-3 years. Just tried it with a couple of different sites and then used the All Images search in Finder and neither of them were located on my computer anywhere.

The last time I did this was 10.4 I think, and am pretty sure it did download and save the picture then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
That'll teach you to download pr0n pics! lol

jk....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.