iPhone 4 Early Upgrade Question

Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right place but...

So my brother has a BB Bold 9000 and wants to upgrade to the iPhone 4 when it comes out on June 24. He can't upgrade until August but I know that AT&T bumped up all iPhone customers 6 months right? So technically, if he bought a cheap 2G or 3G somewhere, stuck in his SIM card and switched to an iPhone data plan right now, would it then enable him to qualify for the early upgrade?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3
I don't know if this is the right place but...

So my brother has a BB Bold 9000 and wants to upgrade to the iPhone 4 when it comes out on June 24. He can't upgrade until August but I know that AT&T bumped up all iPhone customers 6 months right? So technically, if he bought a cheap 2G or 3G somewhere, stuck in his SIM card and switched to an iPhone data plan right now, would it then enable him to qualify for the early upgrade?

You dont have to own an earlier version of an iphone to upgrade to a new iphone, its based on what your contract says, as long as you have ATT and have upgrade available you can go from a flip phone to an iphone basically. I dont think your plan will work. its only for people who purchased theirs between certain dates... the only thing he can do is possible be eleigible for an Acceptance Upgrade, basically he would pay 400 instead of 600

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
did he try *639# to check if he's eligible ? might be a good start...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If his upgrade eligibility date is August 2010, then he can most definitely get the iPhone 4 at the discounted rate on June 24.

OP
R
Reaction score
See that's the thing. He tried *639# and it still says August as the upgrade date. The lady at AT&T told us that only existing iPhone users are getting the 6 month bump to go ahead and upgrade early. So do you think my plan would work? It would save him $200 in early upgrade costs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Seriously, please read more carefully. If you qualify for an upgrade anytime between now and December 31, 2010, then you are eligible for the six month bump.

Since you stated that your brother will be eligible in August 2010, that means he falls into that group who qualify. Hence, your brother will be able to purchase an iPhone 4 for the $199 or $299 price come June 24th.

Reaction score
Seriously, please read more carefully. If you qualify for an upgrade anytime between now and December 31, 2010, then you are eligible for the six month bump.

Since you stated that your brother will be eligible in August 2010, that means he falls into that group who qualify. Hence, your brother will be able to purchase an iPhone 4 for the $199 or $299 price come June 24th.

No he's not. The early upgrade is only applicable for current iPhone users. The OP said he has a Blackberry.

From the press release

To let current iPhone customers quickly upgrade to iPhone 4, AT&T will make its best pricing immediately available to any iPhone customer who would be upgrade eligible for a discounted device by the end of 2010.

"We know that people are eager to get iPhone 4, which is why we moved up the upgrade eligibility date for current iPhone customers by up to six months. This move, combined with the new wireless data plans we announced last week, will make it more affordable for more people to purchase an iPhone and enjoy the benefits of the mobile Internet."

Eligibility

Existing iPhone customers eligible for an upgrade between today and the end of this year have been made immediately eligible for AT&T's best pricing for iPhone 4 with a new two-year term commitment. Consumers can verify upgrade eligibility at www.att.com/iphone today. Business customers can verify upgrade eligibility at AT&T's Premier site, https://www.wireless.att.com/business/.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intriguing, there seems to be some confusion. While the official press release says iPhone customers, there are several reports of people calling AT&T and turns out that non-iPhone customers due for an upgrade are also eligible. I guess we'll have to either wait till AT&T releases another press release or see what happens on June 24.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.