• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

mac+fcp=cheap

Reaction score
i need a cheap set up to exclusively run final cut pro, i was thinking about getting a mac mini with an external hardrive and hopefully that will do the job. does anyone know if that will be good enough? or have any other advice on a cheap way to do this. thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Depending on the nature of the editing you're doing, and the nature of your source material, a Mac mini may be more then enough.

A key is tho you need to use a modern Mac mini with a 9400m or better graphics chipset in it - the intel GMA chipsets are not supported and require workarounds to even install the software

I say *may* be because a lot depends on what you're working with etc.

I know I have edited on a Mac mini (the Mac mini that is now my home theater Mac); footage from a Canon HF100 (AVCHD, 17mbps avg data rate) transcoded into ProRES422 and it worked fine (I didn't use more then a couple of simultaneous video streams and depending on what effects I wanted sometimes I did have to deal with rendering) using a FW800 external drive for scratch.

Some functionality in Color will not work, if you use footage from cameras that have extremely high bitrates (a lot higher then the 20-24mbps on consumer camcorders) you may exceed your systems capabilities, motion projects may be limited on complexity and length.

I would also stay away from ProRES 444. You might want to use ProRES 422 Proxy or ProRES 422 LT for better performance on a mini tho. Here's a little blurp about the ProRES versions:

Apple - Final Cut Studio - Final Cut Pro 7 - Expanded ProRes

And if you notice under Proxy they refer to editing on a Macbook or MBP - the current mini is really about the same capabilities level of a the Macbook back when they wrote that (both machines had 9400m graphics, cpu close to the same (within a few hundred MHz), etc. - now the two machines are a little more separate as the gpu in the laptop is much more powerful then in the mini currently).
There are some nay-sayers that state that it won't work, but in all honesty, it does.

OP
C
Reaction score
thanks buddy, i appreciate that, in all honesty you lost me on some of the technical stuff, but ima do my research, thanks again for the advice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.