Disappearing application

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2011 27" i7 iMac iPad Air iPhone 6 iPod Classic Sierra
HELP! Where do applications go that you drag from the applications bar at the bottom of the screen on to an empty desktop. Apple tutorial says you can do this and that the application remains on your hard drive, I did this and can no longer find the application even using the Find command in Finder. This is annoying because although it was a relatively obscure app (Grapher) it was one I used often. Any advice would be gratefully received.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
How did you install "Grapher"?

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It was already in the Utilities folder within Applications I didn't actually install it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
HELP! Where do applications go that you drag from the applications bar at the bottom of the screen on to an empty desktop.

I believe you mean the Dock. They don't go anywhere. Those are not the applications, but merely pointers ("shortcuts") to the real applications, which remain wherever they were before this event. When you did this, did you see an image that looked like a puff of smoke? If so, then my hunch is correct. But, since you say you can't find Grapher using Find, then maybe you did something else.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It appears that Grapher gets installed as part of the Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard installation. Assuming that it has indeed disappeared into some 'black hole' does this mean I have to reinstall the system (the installation disc doesn't seem to provide me with the option of installing only Grapher) and if in fact I do this does it mean I loose Bookmarks etc. Please excuse this ex PC ignorance!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The "Grapher.app" should be in your Utilities folder which is a sub folder to the Applications folder. If you dragged it off the Dock it wasn't actually deleted.

Try doing this: Use the Finder.... Navigate to

MacIntosh HD/Applications/Utilities/Grapher.app/

Is it there?

Post back. (If it was deleted from the HDD, you don't have to reinstall Leopard to get it back.)

Regards.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have used the Find command but have failed to find it. It is not where it was in the Utilities folder within Applications.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I didn't say to use the "find" command. I said to "navigate" there. In other words, open Finder. Click on MacIntosh HD to open a Finder dialog. Then continue by clicking on "Applications". Another dialog will open. Click on "Utilities". Is Grapher there? If not, post back and we'll try something else to get it back for you.

Regards.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately it is not in the Utilities folder within Applications.

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try doing this: Use the Finder.... Navigate to

MacIntosh HD/Applications/Utilities/Grapher.app/

If it's not there (but it really should be!), try

HD/Users/YourUserName/Applications/Utilities

I don't know your user name, but you do! ;)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately it is not in the Utilities folder within Applications. Regards

We'll assume then that it was deleted, although from your original description of what happened I find that unlikely. After trying what "toMACsh" suggested, and it still doesn't show up, you can extract it from your Leopard DVD.

However, in order to extract it, you'll need third party software. Pacifist from CharlesSoft can do it.

There's another way by going thru an install scenario with the Leopard DVD but that might get you into trouble. Using Pacifist is easier even though it will cost you $20.00.

Regards.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Many thanks, downloaded Pacifist which was 'idiot proof' in terms of usage and extracted Grapher from the Mac OS Installation disc. It is now where it should be (still can't understand how it disappeared) and fully functional.

Once again many thanks

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great! It will remain one of the mysteries of life... ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.