external hard drive not mounting

Reaction score
Hi:

I've gone through the threads here and have gathered some valuable info, but I can't find anything that addresses my specific problem.

I have an external hard drive plugged into a USB hub (with independent power source). Recently I (unfortunately) shut my imac down without ejecting my external hard drive, and now I can't get it to mount unless I plug it directly into the back of my imac. It simply no longer mounts when plugged into the hub.

Problem is my keyboard and wacom are plugged into the back of my imac, and neither work through the hub. I'm really stuck here because I use my wacom as my mouse, so no matter what I do, I'm without either my wacom/mouse or my keyboard if I want to mount my external drive.

I've used DiscWarrior on the external drive, but it still won't mount through the hub. Am I running into some other hardware problem here?

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There's nothing wrong with the drive as it will mount when plugged directly into your iMac, so the problem has to be with the hub. I assume it won't mount no matter which port you plug it into on the hub? And that you've tried to remove the hub and its power, then try plugging it back in to see if that made a difference?

Also, do other devices work OK from the hub? The hub sounds problematic since you also indicated that neither the keyboard nor the Wacom will work thru it. If you have another hub to test with, that will tell us if your hub is OK or not.

Regards.

OP
F
Reaction score
Well, I had powered off the hub before by unplugging it, not realizing that it was getting separate power from being plugged into the imac. Once I removed all power sources, waited, and then plugged it back in, the external drive started working.

Thank you!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK. Good to hear you got it up and working again. And yes, the hub receives USB power from the computer as well as its own independent power.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.