Need help: Almost all apple apps quitting

Reaction score
I have a macbook with 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor (Apple calls it early 2008 model). Everything was working fine till yesterday (June 9 2010), when I received a prompt that updated softwares are available, and when I checked it was Safari 5. So, I started the update. The computer restarted, and then gave me error message that update didn't install properly or something like that (I didn't take it seriously at that time, thinking that I can restart the process).

But now, everytime I start safari/itunes/iphoto/quicksilver and couple others, I get the message that application quit unexpectedly. I have tried doing relaunch, reset and relaunch, starting in safe mode, created another user account with admin rights, googled and did couple of suggestions mentioned (cache / fonts), but nothing helped.

Only thing that I did before trying this safari update was Office update (I dont exactly recall if I did this right before applying safari update on June 9, or on June 8. One thing is certain that computer was working properly after applying this office update.

I have time machine backup that I did about a month ago, nothing much has changed since then, only a few items that I can replace, but will take me couple of hours that I am trying to save. I did download some apps from itunes store, dont know what will happen to those if I restore using time machine. Any way to get those apps back (most of these were free apps that were offered for only one day)?

BTW, firefox, ical, office products (word, PP, excel) work fine (I have only tested these so far)

Hope someone can help me get my system back.

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Since you have Firefox and it's working OK, go to the Apple download site and download Safari 5. Let's see if it will install and get you back up with Safari. If that doesn't work, post back and we'll try something else.

And BTW, you really need to keep up with your Time Machine backups. An old backup is better than nothing but as you found out, there may be data loss involved.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.