how to learn programming?

Reaction score
I'd like to start to learn programming with python. I've never programmed anything before. Where do I start?

Thanks
Jason

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac i5 27" OSX 10.6.2
Hey Jason,

Best thing to do is download the development tools, compiler, etc. and then Google "python tutorials".

You will find a TON of stuff that will walk you through the coding of simple projects, which will build up your knowledge of the language.

If you are new to programming in general, then you may want to look at search results for "symbolic logic" or "programming logic" which will get you on your way to understanding the way you need to think when teaching a computer to do your bidding.

HTH,

Chris

OP
G
Reaction score
thanks so much Chris.

I'm trying to dive right into python. I bought "Developing Modular Rigging Systems with Python" from 3dbuzz.com. I've started the videos but didn't get very far. So now I'm back tracking to figure what I need to know to get my Rigging System running.

I got the development tools and I'll start doing some tutorials.

Reaction score
Hey Jason,

You're new to programming, right? Then how about this book (Amazon.com: Programming in Python 3: A Complete Introduction to the Python Language (2nd Edition) (9780321680563): Mark Summerfield: Books Your book's title tells me that the author probably assumes that his readers already know Python.

Bill
thanks so much Chris.

I'm trying to dive right into python. I bought "Developing Modular Rigging Systems with Python" from 3dbuzz.com. I've started the videos but didn't get very far. So now I'm back tracking to figure what I need to know to get my Rigging System running.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
thanks so much Chris.

Modular Rigging? So your goal is to learn Python to be able to script in Maya? Jumping straight into rigging probably isn't the best idea. Start with python basics as suggested above. :) Once you get the hang of Python concepts and language syntax you can look into how Python works with Maya.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.