Western Digital MyBook unable to use for Time Machine

Reaction score
I want to use my external HD (MyBook) for my Time Machine Backup but when I went to back it up it told me that the MyBook was not formatted for it. I used this HD to transfer pictures and documents from my old PC computer to my Mac and it transferred correctly. I did notice that for some reason when it is plugged into my Mac, there isn't an option to create a folder in the MyBook. I wanted to put all my other docs in separate folder as to only have 2 folders on my HD...the backup one and the docs one but it won't let me do it in my mac...it will let me do it if I reconnect it to my PC.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your My Book WD hard drive is likely formatted to NTFS. That's why you can not create a folder on it from OS X since by default NTFS is read only. You can however, copy from a NTFS drive to OS X.

In order to use the drive for Time Machine it will have to be erased and reformatted as HFS+ Extended Journaled. Be sure to remove everything you need from the drive first before allowing Time Machine to format for its use.

Regards.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thank you for your input. I never even thought about that. I reformatted and all is fine now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.