Youtube gone into slow motion

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

This extremely wierd thing has happened recently. For some reason unknown to me, youtube streaming has gotten insanely slow on my iMac.

Here's what I've tested:
1. Ran the same youtube video in both safari and firefox. No change.
2. Ran the video (still the same one) in safari on my computer, then went directly to my little brothers macbook pro and ran it there. Much slower loading time on mine.
3. I've tried resetting the wifi. No change.
4. I've tested my wifi. Both download and upload rates are at max for my connection, and I can play World of Warcraft without any form of interruption of lag. I can't see how it can be the connection, seeing that I haven't moved my iMac nor the router to a new location for the last 6 months.

What on Earth is going on?! It makes no sense. Only thing which has changed lately was that I installed 8 + 6 updates for OSX a few days ago.

Thanks in advance,
Rune

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It may help if you listed your iMac's specs, and mentioned what OS version you're running.

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Well how would that matter? It can't have to do with any of my iMac's speccs, seeing that those have not changed for the last 5 months. Anyways, I'm on a 24" 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB ram and the ATI Radeon HD 4850 graphics card.

However, the OSX version you are right on. Sorry about that. I'm currently running OSX 10.6.3

To give an example I normally don't have any problems with streaming 720p videos on youtube while watching them. At the moment It's having trouble keeping up with 360p videos.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well how would that matter? It can't have to do with any of my iMac's speccs, seeing that those have not changed for the last 5 months.

Why would your Mac Specs make a difference. Do you know how long iMac's have been around & how many different model iMac's there have been??? The iMac was first introduced in 1998...and since then there have been 55 iMac models introduced.

Since your initial post you did not mention your iMac's specs or what version of the OS you're running...there are a lot of possibilities. Just because your iMacs specs have not changed in the last 5 months...does not 100% eliminate hardware as a possible problem area.

We do not know how old your iMac is. Just because you know that your iMac is a very recent model...we do not know that...because you did not tell us in your original post...that's why I asked. When we ask for information...we ask for a reason!

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Alright point taken. My iMac specs are listen in my previous post. Feel free to have a look.

Now, not to sound rude, but do you have anything to say on the actual subject? I'm pretty sure a 'good luck' isn't going to solve my problem :)

If anyone knows something I would be happy to hear your thoughts!

Thanks in advance,
Rune

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now, not to sound rude, but do you have anything to say on the actual subject?

You've been rude twice in this thread. Help is free, members are not paid...so it helps to be nice!:)

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Pigoo3 - I kindly ask that you refrain from replying anymore in this thread. I came to these forums searching for an answer - not for a lesson in the history of iMacs, nor to engage in a discussion off topic.

I stated my iMac specs in my second post. They were there when you replied with your second post. Yet you reply with a message that has no relation to the actual topic. So who's being rude? If a soldier opens fire should he not expect to be answered with the same? I for one will not be greeting that soldier with flowers. I doubt anyone will.

Anyways, should anyone else reading this have further questions, which could lead to some sort of answer, please do ask me. Any help on topic is very much appreciated!

Rune

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.