HD Icon question

Reaction score
I had a problem with mail and had to shut down using the button on the mini. Restarted ok and all works well.

The icon for the internal HD has changed and I'm curious if it signifies anything or is that I just lost the icon that was there. The two external drive icon remain the same.

The new icon is a blue background with a clock face and a circled arrow running counter clockwise.

If it's that I just lost the old icon, can I get it back?

Thanks,

Mike

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Does it happen to be this icon. If so, that signifies that the HD is set up for Time Machine. You can read more about it here. Now, Time Machine will not use your internal boot drive - that doesn't make any sense. Are you sure that the icon you're seeing is your internal drive? Could you provide a screenshot?

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes that is the icon and yes it is my internal boot drive. Here is a screen shot of the 3 drives. Aristotle is my internal drive, Socrates is an external drive and Backup is my backup.

This happened when I got a message stating something about clicking to restore Mail, but that did nothing. The mouse moved but it had no effect on anything I clicked on. I had to turn the computer off using the button on the Mini. Actually I had to reboot twice before everything came back. That is when I noticed the change in the icon. They had all been the same as Socrates & Backup. I have been using Time Machine for months, but that icon never showed up before./Users/Mike/Desktop/Picture 1.png

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
There is no screenshot ;).

Open up the Time Machine prefs (System Preferences). What does it say there in terms of what drive is being used? My guess is that it is still setup properly and your internal drive just had the icon replaced.

OP
M
Reaction score
HD Icon

I checked Time Machine perfs and saw that Socrates was excluded as well as Backup. Removed Socrates from excluded list. Icon is now back to what it was.

We had a power outage last night and maybe the reboot solved the icon problem.

I guess I forgot to upload the screen shot instead of just dragging it over. I've tried it again.

Anyway, things seem to be back to normal.

Thanks,

Mike

Picture 1.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.