Upgrade to 10.5.8 = problems!

Reaction score
Hi everybody..

I have an intel-based iMac i've been using for about 4 years now if not 5. I've been running Tiger for bloody ages and haven't upgraded because I had Pro Tools M-Powered 7.1.1 (and alot of expensive extras) and didn't want to have to shell out for version 8. A flawed decision i know.

Last friday I was offered some freelance work which required me to install a recent version of Final Cut Pro and therefore required me to upgrade to Leopard (in a rush without fully preparing) and so now I'm running 10.5.8.

Obviously PT no longer works. Which I'm ok with (have come to terms with) cos I have Logic Pro 7 and I'm pretty sure that still runs with Leopard (don't have the usb key at this exact time so I haven't been able to test it but according to the site it should work?! :Oops: )

There are several other issues i've come across tho (so far..) mainly GarageBand (3.0.5) runs really slow/crashes as soon as i try to import audio. Is this cos I'm still on iLife '06 (don't laugh). Also my screen keeps glitching. Weird turquoise watermarks where other windows have been and massively magnified sections (which disappear after a few seconds). Basically things ain't right.

Can anyone suggest any solutions for me to try? I've done a software update but no luck.. Should i just buy a copy of iLife '09? Things are a bit tight at the mo so I'd rather not but if it's the only option then.. i guess i will have to! PLEASE help! Many thanks people..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
How much RAM do you have? What is the processor speed?

Reaction score
Have you tried a permissions repair?

Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility. Open it.
Choose your hard drive hardware on the left (not Macintosh HD, but just above that).
Click 'Repair Disk Permissions' and let it run.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
2 GHz intel core duo processor and 1.5 gb ram..

That should be good enough for Leopard. I suspect that some of your older software is not. My GarageBand, which I don't use, is version 4.1.1 for instance. Have you tried Software Update? It will tell you what Apple software you're eligible to update.

There's always the possibility that your monitor problems have nothing to do with the OS upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Upgrading can be a little flaky and clean install will work better. Did you download the OS X.5.8 combo updater direct from the Apple web site, or use Software Update. If you went the latter, try the combo download and see if that helps:-

Mac OS X 10.5.8 Combo Update

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.