9HRS TRIAL & ERROR:: Issues with Login, Time Machine, Safe Mode, UNIX

Reaction score
Before you say "you should have backed up" I'm aware of that.

Been up all night trying to fix this :( (so don't take offence if i seem ratty)

Started when i downloaded an Application called GlowWorm which I've since realised isn't compatible with Leopard 10.5, Macbook crashed, hard restart, then unable to start up.

Safe Mode wouldn't boot up and everything i tried lead to the same blank grey-blue screen.

I booted from disk, and repaired permissions and the disk it's self. The results showed unexpected ACL files. So a quick search told me how to get rid of them using UNIX commands in Single User Mode. This let me start up in Safe Mode.

I followed instruction from another user who had the same HD ruining experience with GlowWorm. His resolution was to delete the application while in safe mode. I did this and rebooted but it still didn't fix the problem. So I spent a good few hours in the terminal backing up my entire hard drive, I'm still there now (I'm now the RSYNC UNIX SCRIPT MASTER!! :Shouting:)

So for now it's the waiting game. I tried to use time machine but for some reason it requires 260GB of space to backup 225GB of data?

So I figured i would copy my main bulk of usage directly onto my external hard drive, to see if it brings the time machine threshold down. Anyone know if this is a lost cause?
*Edit: This did reduce the total amount of space needed. Everything can now fit on my hard drive.

Also, anyone know a fix for my startup issue?
I'm reluctant to shut down before i somehow backup my entire HD onto an external one that time machine deems "too small". Eventhough it is the same size as my internal 250gb (232.57gb) HD.
The apple sound plays, then the logo and "working" dial appear, and then a blank Grey/Blue screen appears. And occasionally a mouse cursor appears. Starting up in Safe Mode also takes about 5 minutes.

Any help on any issue here is appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.