Microsoft office compatibility issues.

Reaction score
I tried opening a word file in microsoft word for mac and all I see are white boxes everywhere. The file is mainly chinese characters.

The strange thing is that pages opens it up fine. It's 2008, and the proper fonts seem to be included...typing chinese isn't a problem.

I thought the only reason for buying office would be for these issues...something that pages seems to do quite well...(aside form loss of formatting...)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17"
Legitimate Vendor?

My first question is about the vendor who supplied the software. If you bought the software from an online discount site you may have a knock-off copy or foreign version. Have you contacted the software vendor?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The first question I have is which application created the Word file and how was it saved? Was the original file in English or was it created and saved as an Asian file? (Chinese perhaps?)

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.9GHz i7, 16GB DDR, 512GB, OSX 10.11.6
I tried opening a word file in microsoft word for mac and all I see are white boxes everywhere. The file is mainly chinese characters.

The strange thing is that pages opens it up fine. It's 2008, and the proper fonts seem to be included...typing chinese isn't a problem.

I thought the only reason for buying office would be for these issues...something that pages seems to do quite well...(aside form loss of formatting...)

I have recurring problems with my Word for Mac, but not those you describe.

Is this a new install? Or a new problem in a reliable install?

I agree completely with Jimania and chscag first questions.

My first question would be:
Have you tried opening any other (known good) Word documents in Word, so we know whether the program or the document are at fault?

Cheers, cb

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.