boot camp doesn't display harddrive selection

Reaction score
When I restart while holding option, I end up at a white screen and am unable to choose between operating systems. The trouble is that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I have to hold the power button to power down each time, since I have absolutely no control aside from a mouse pointer at the white screen. The only thing I can do is let it run normally and boot into osx. I'm afraid to try booting into windows as default b/c I think I might get stuck there or something. (but from my googling, some people w/ a similar problem can get to it that way, which makes it seem as if it isn't a problem with the windows files)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There may be something wrong with the boot sector or your hard drive. Holding down the Option key at startup should at least give you the choice of your MacIntosh HD even if the BC partition is missing.

Try booting your machine with your install recovery DVD and run Disk Utility from the top menu Utilities. Run verify and repair on your entire hard drive and also run repair permissions. See if that helps. Post back results and we can go from there.

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
I'll be able to access disk utility from a disk a day from now. Just tried it from within the OS though. Can't access the boot camp partition, but I did check on the macintosh drive. No errors were found, did verifications, there were a lot of "verification problems" though...nothing's changed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.