Any Downsides?

JRV

Reaction score
Are there any downsides to using a mac? Are there any important tasks that only a PC can do? I've been using a mac for several months now and haven't seen any myself?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Maybe alot of people being jelous of you?

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Maybe the stigma that you get associated with by people who don't know the mac... :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
BurntSmore said:
Downside? Well maybe gaming...
Some extremely specialized software and periferals do not work on the mac platform. For example... I am a chemist and there are several instruments I use at work that don't interface with macs. I can and do however, run all of the general applications that I need on macs. because... well.... duh.

B

badmojo

My only beef is not being able to use some Windows-only apps (i.e Publisher), but it's not Apple's fault.

Z

zap2

for any only windows app, there is alwasy vitual PC at a good as a really PC but it does run on ur mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
I miss the adrenaline rush that playing with the registry gives you, the suspense of that new virus or the thrill of the blue screen...
But for real, i can't see downwards on my every day use either.

Reaction score
iWhat said:
Maybe the stigma that you get associated with by people who don't know the mac... :eek:
Very true. People that have never used a Mac turn away quickly without even looking at it. They have the attitude of 'why use that, everyone uses this'. I just wish everyone would try both machines then make an educated decision on which they prefer. Nearly every person I have come across that doesn't like Mac's have never even used one.. ever.

"A personal No Spin Zone will save you time, money, and frustration. It will allow you to make value judgements based upon hard facts and evidence."

- Bill O'Reilly

Reaction score
JRV said:
Are there any downsides to using a mac? Are there any important tasks that only a PC can do? I've been using a mac for several months now and haven't seen any myself?
Well here is a repeat answer i gave on another thread about the downsides i have noticed since i switched in feb.

"Can't do

1.Most AVIs especially those incoded with the intel indeo codec (no osx support at all) as well as some .wmv files although most play fine.
2.Most AV IMing (iChat/AIM may or may not work however yahoo seems to work for this.
3.Some oddball apps that are windows only or some multimedia CD's.
4.Having to deal with outdated and or stripped down programs on the mac (Yahoo and MSN) while the windows versions of these programs have alot more features."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 17", 1.8 Ghz, 1GB RAM
mraya said:
I miss the adrenaline rush that playing with the registry gives you, the suspense of that new virus or the thrill of the blue screen...
But for real, i can't see downwards on my every day use either.

To some extent, I find myself agreeing...

D

dlisle20

I can think of many downsides to having a mac:

- no good solitare programs
- very slow gaming and not much o a choice compared to pc's
- I would sooo love to build a mac... but i can't
- you cannot customise, modd or upgrade macs very much

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
1.Actually I find my collection of video players will play almost any app - except wmv files with drm.

2.IM/AV Well there aren't really many IM apps that can do this anyway, yahoo as you mentioned, which is compatible with iChat and AIM is anyway... The only one non-mac compatible at the moment is skype's plugin.

4. I have to agree that the IM apps made by the service providers themselves are often outdated, however I find free alternatives such as AdiumX a great solution to this - no ads, nice interface, tons of features, compatible with EVERYTHING and free.

Reaction score
Does windows media player for mac not support wmv files. I believe its free on versiontracker.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
VLC and Winblows Media Player play all my videos so ive no problems there.
My bad points about a mac are

1) other people dont understand why you have one
2) programs like publisher etc that have no mac alternatives
3) stripped down mac versions of stuff like MSN
4) using older hardware (win 98/ME era)
5) envy :p
6) its hard to use windows full time after using a mac because you get used to the little things that make windows seam outdated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Fallooza said:
I agreed with 3, so I didn't bother including it in my reply :)

Does windows media player for mac not support wmv files. I believe its free on versiontracker.com

It supports most wmv files, but not some that come with copy protection (I think).

R

rypod81

TOYOTA said:
Very true. People that have never used a Mac turn away quickly without even looking at it. They have the attitude of 'why use that, everyone uses this'. I just wish everyone would try both machines then make an educated decision on which they prefer. Nearly every person I have come across that doesn't like Mac's have never even used one.. ever.

"A personal No Spin Zone will save you time, money, and frustration. It will allow you to make value judgements based upon hard facts and evidence."

- Bill O'Reilly

i was at a dinner last nite, and mentioned that i had recently switched. one of the other guys said, "well in the business world (i'm an actor) everyone uses PCs, i know that they use macs in elementary schools because its easier to learn adn less complicated to use."

i thought to myself, "wow, you sound like an ***, i wonder why people would ever want to use something thats easier to learn and less complicated to use?" oh, and im sure he loves spyware.

heeee

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 15" PowerBook 1.3Ghz, 1gb, 120gb hd
I too have found that specialized apps that I was able to use for flashing phones will not work on the Mac. I can't even connect a phone and use VirtualPC.

This is really my only gripe about it.... oh, and that there isn't a program that will automatically tag your mp3s. I loved this feature on musicmatch and I miss it so much.

S

supremeoverlord

why is anyone complaining about Publisher?? That is the worst program EVER!!! Geeze, where I work we cringe whenever we get one of those files in. Ugh its awful!!! BAD BAD BAD!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.