Entourage- files

Reaction score
I just did a MS Office update. Using 2008.
When done, my Entourage no longer has any contacts, e-mails, calendar and etc. This was a large update. Was using Office 2008 already.

I tried to restore OFFICE 2008 IDENTITIES. Either it didn't work or I didn't do it right.

Where are the Entourage files stored?
How can I import them into the updated version?

Best solution?????
Since I use this for business, I need to get things back to "normal" ASAP.

Reaction score
Have you checked

Documents > Microsoft User Data > Office 2008 Identies?

This is where it stores your database and it should have it there

Let me know

p.s - i hate entourage, i think i am in the same situation as you, i use it for work and with so many emails it is slow and it drives me mad. I recently posted a topic asking for advise if i should use Mail instead as it seems a lighter, faster program

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Close Entourage. Hold down the Option Key while reopening Entourage. You should get an option to Rebuild Database. If you select 'verify' before selecting 'rebuild', you'll be able to see if a problem was found. If you select 'rebuild' right away, it will do it's job, but won't tell you if a problem was found.

Let us know if this helps...

OP
D
Reaction score
Entourage

I did the Verify/Rebuild.

I got another Identity, but still all my contacts, calendars, and e-mails are missing.

I went into Time Machine and did a restore from the USERS - OFFICE 2008 IDENTITIES. NO luck..

I think it interesting, that Micro Soft makes such a poor running product. Some say it is to sabotage the MAC. You would think they would make it the best thing ever to encourage people into the MS arena. It faithfully crashes 3-4 times a day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Time Machine and Entourage do not play together well. MS has promised to address this with Office 2010 (or maybe 2011) for Mac. In MS defense, Entourage came out before Time Machine, so they had no way of foreseeing a compatibility problem. (And for the inevitable MS basher who points to the ridiculous way MS chose to store the Entourage data, I would point to Apple's iPhoto Library, which is as equally ridiculous--but that's way off subject.)

Unfortunately, Time Machine may have copied over the Identity you were using with a copy with the TM copy, which may have issues. But it's not definite that the TM copy was bad--that's just a worst case scenario.

In Finder, go to Documents > Microsoft User Data, Office 2008 Identities. Tell us what Folders are contained inside. There should be a Main Identity, and also a copy with a date & time matching the time you performed the Verify/Rebuild. Any other folders?

OP
D
Reaction score
Entourage

It seems I have many Identities----
MAIN IDENTITY
MAIN IDENTITY BACKED UP 2010-06-06 time [ 4 of these]
MAIN IDENTITY 1
NEWSGROUP CACHE
OFFICE 2008 IDENTITIES
OFFICE 2008 IDENTITIES BACKED UP

In the Office 2008 Identities there is:
DATABASE
MAILING LIST
RULES
SIGNATURES
SUMMARY.PLIST

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I found this article. Find solutions for crashes, conflicts and general problems with Entourage Number 15, midway down the page, has a paragraph entitled 'Identity disappeared from hard drive'. It suggests a problem with AV software I wouldn't have thought of.

Still thinking about the OFFICE 2008 IDENTITIES & OFFICE 2008 IDENTITIES BACKED UP folders... No idea what they are. I also just updated to Entourage 12.2.5 and I don't have them in my Identity folder. It's odd that your would have a folder called Office 2008 Identities inside a folder called Office 2008 Identities.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.