• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

ISO file conversion to MP4 files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I'm only a few weeks in with a new imac and am loving every bit of it so far.

I am confused about how to convert ISO files into MP4 files. I have done a bit of research and appreciate that an ISO file is just a picture file and believe that you need to buy software to be able to extract the necessary files to be able to convert to MP4 so i can watch on my ipod touch. I currently have a rake of films in ISO format on an external hard drive and am dying to get them extracted and converted to MP4.

I am also confused as to what is the best software in terms of ease of use and speed (i'm far from a techno expert so find that the easier the better). I recently downloaded another app (mod's note: removed name) which converts avi files just fine but isn't having anything to do with changing iso files (I presume as it need the extracted files)

Am i trying to do the impossible - What is the best software that will do the job and run on the imac - Happy to pay but don't really want to pay a fortune for unnecessary options that I would never use.

Can anyone help - remember guys - keep it simple

Cheers Gangsta273

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
THere are 2 parts to this one

1. an ISO file is a disk image, typically an image of a DVD. Firstly you have to mount that image as a disk, Disk Utility (in Application > Utilities) can mount a disk image. It will appear on your desktop as if you had inserted a DVD in your drive.

2. To convert what is on the disk to a file you can watch in Quicktime, or load on your iPod or iPhone then the free app Handbrake can convert to many common video formats, including presets for the 2 devices I just mentioned.

HandBrake

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
The app you mentioned is promoted by spammers. Since your request might be legit, I haven't deleted this post, but please don't mention them again.

Oh and avoid the software.

OP
G
Reaction score
The app you mentioned is promoted by spammers. Since your request might be legit, I haven't deleted this post, but please don't mention them again.

Oh and avoid the software.

This is definitely a legit request by myself

Didn't manage to do the even the first step

Could still do with help on this one

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
As louishen mentioned, ISO files are disk images and can be mounted with Disk Utility. In fact, you shouldn't even need DU as the image should mount when you double click it. What happens when you double click the ISO?

OP
G
Reaction score
As louishen mentioned, ISO files are disk images and can be mounted with Disk Utility. In fact, you shouldn't even need DU as the image should mount when you double click it. What happens when you double click the ISO?

It just opens the file in VLC Media. What I would like to do is somehow convert the ISO file to MP4 to play on my ipod touch - I thought i needed to extract the contents of the ISO file some how thats what I'm struggling with

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Double click the ISO so it mounts - if for some reason double clicking the ISO is bringing up VLC (which is weird); right click on the ISO, select Get Info, a window will appear and a section is labeled Open With - select DiskImageMounter and then click Change All - it should no longer autolaunch VLC if you double click an ISO - now it should appear on your desktop as another drive. Get Handbrake, run Handbrake, click on the Source button, navigate to the mounted ISO, click open/ok it will scan for video tracks. Make sure the track you want to transcode is the one listed in the dropdowns (usually, if there is one item per disc iso it would be the longest entry). Set your output specifications - easiest way is to select a preset for playback on iPhone/iPod Touch make sure it is set to save to a location you can find with a file name that makes sense to you (it will either have an mp4 or m4v extension - either should be ok) then click start.

OP
G
Reaction score
Double click the ISO so it mounts - if for some reason double clicking the ISO is bringing up VLC (which is weird); right click on the ISO, select Get Info, a window will appear and a section is labeled Open With - select DiskImageMounter and then click Change All - it should no longer autolaunch VLC if you double click an ISO - now it should appear on your desktop as another drive. Get Handbrake, run Handbrake, click on the Source button, navigate to the mounted ISO, click open/ok it will scan for video tracks. Make sure the track you want to transcode is the one listed in the dropdowns (usually, if there is one item per disc iso it would be the longest entry). Set your output specifications - easiest way is to select a preset for playback on iPhone/iPod Touch make sure it is set to save to a location you can find with a file name that makes sense to you (it will either have an mp4 or m4v extension - either should be ok) then click start.

Excellent did the first part and it opened up the fils as .vob type then just dragged them into (REDACTED) and started converted

Now all I need to do is learn how to to make 4 separate parts of the video into one file - Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
DON't USE XILISOFT. There is no need for it. For one thing it's more spam ware then legit software, and if you read Aptmunich's post, you'd see he removed the name from your original post and why.
Don't drag the VOBs out or do anything with them.

Just get Handbrake and in source point it to the mounted iso - it will make your life easy in terms of converting.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Where are these ISO's from? What kinds of Movies are they?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7/500Gb/4Gb/15inch
I have program files given to me in ISO format - how do I mount and use these files?

New to MAcbook Pro i7 since May 2010

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7/500Gb/4Gb/15inch
I have just found that a free downloadable program called AnyToIso works great at converting ISO files to useable files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.