Triple boot: Installed Win XP but cannot boot it

Reaction score
When I got my new macbook pro I knew I'd need a triple boot setup, so I used bootcamp to create a windows partition for me, then created a Linux partition by hand and went ahead installing Linux. In this setup I have rEFIt as primary boot manager; for starting Linux I have a grub (-pc, v. 1.9.8) in the Linux install partition.

Now after I received my Windows licence via eBay :) I went ahead installing Windows Vista. Installation would not work first, the problem mentioned here before, no system volume matching the criteria... I first tried to solve this by using the Windows installer to delete and recreate the partition and then format it, no success. Finally I picked up somebody else's advice and used the Windows command line window to set my installation partition to 'active'.

After install and reboot I did no longer see the windows partition as choice in rEFIt's boot menu. Obviously it could no longer recognise it since I had replaced the original partition created by bootcamp by the one created by the Windows installer. I allowed rEFIt to 'repair' my partition table, no effect at all (apart from now having set the Windows partition's file system ID to 'FAT' instead of 'NTFS' which I changed back after this had not been a success). I tried to use bootcamp for selecting Windows by pressing ALT when booting, it would only boot into grub and from there to Linux. Adding a "windows" section to grub did not help either, I'd always boot into Linux.

I then checked the partition table under Linux and found that the Linux partition was set to 'bootable' but the Windows partition wasn't. So I set it to bootable in Linux' fdisk program and retried. Now I would get 'no operating system found' when entering Windows boot via 'ALT' key. Also, once I had booted Linux via grub once more, the bootable partition was again the Linux one. I tried to use Windows' "repair" program from the install disk (though I was *really* scared to do this), no success either. bootcamp would not help me since It only works on a single partition, only I have already a partitioned hard disk.

Now I'm stuck. I'd be ready to reinstall Windows, but I don't really believe this would help since I had not done anything to that installation at all. Maybe my lack of understanding of the technical concepts is the problem, but after a night of several dozens of reboots I don't really see how I can possibly get this working. Any hints?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Now I'm stuck. I'd be ready to reinstall Windows, but I don't really believe this would help since I had not done anything to that installation at all. Maybe my lack of understanding of the technical concepts is the problem, but after a night of several dozens of reboots I don't really see how I can possibly get this working. Any hints?

Read this "How to Triple Boot"......

But my advice to you is forget about triple booting Linux, Vista, and OS X by using rEFIt or the above author's method. A simple way is to download the free VirtualBox application and run Linux, Vista, as virtual machines.

I'm currently using rEFIt to dual boot Snow Leopard and Windows 7. It works well but dual booting is easy. Triple booting gets more complicated because GRUB is so finicky - and the Vista Boot Sector is different from previous Windows versions such as XP.

Regards.

Reaction score
i'm triple booting with no problems, but i got Leopard, Snow Leopard, and Windows 7
it was an easy one, never tried it with Linux in the mix though

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.