new ext HD and iPhotos and iTunes

Reaction score
Hi

I just connected a 1.5 tb WD external HD to my emac and backed up all my files.

I read this thread after I read another one about how to point your itunes to the new HD, in Preference>Advance.

Question on iTunes, When I up-load more music, will it automatically go to the new external HD or old HD or both? I would like all new stuff to go to the new HD.

I want to clean off the old HD it is packed.

Second question, the iPhotos don't have that nice Preference> Advance button so I guess to point to the photo on my new HD I need to go through the steps from Apple, but my concern is, I have already got all the photos on the new HD and this set of instructions seems to be for when you have not already copied them over. I have like thousands of pics and want to be careful.

But want to point to the new HD and also when I upload new ones, they go only to the new hd.

Any advice?

Thanks

Greg

The iPhoto Library folder or package contains imported photos and any albums you've created using iPhoto. If you want to move your iPhoto Library folder or package to a new location, you must move the entire folder or package and then identify its new location in iPhoto. The following steps only apply to iPhoto 2 and later. For iPhoto 1.1.1, refer to iPhoto 1.1.1: How to Move the iPhoto Library Folder to a New Location.

Note: If you move, delete, rename, or change files or folders in the iPhoto Library folder, you may be unable to see your pictures in iPhoto.

To move the iPhoto Library folder or package to a new location:

Quit iPhoto if open.
Open your Pictures folder and select the iPhoto Library.
Drag the iPhoto Library folder or package to its new location.
Hold down the Option key on the keyboard and open iPhoto. Keep the Option key held down until you are prompted to create or choose an iPhoto library.
Click Choose Library.
Locate and select the iPhoto Library you moved in step 2.

Note: If you're using iPhoto '09, select your library from the list provided, or find your library by selecting Other Library.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you followed the Apple directions on how to move your iTunes library to an external hard drive, then that's where the new music files will also be stored.

A note of caution regarding your photos: It's not a good idea to store photos on a hard drive unless you have backup copies stored elsewhere. Hard drives fail and if that happens you could easily lose all your photos or have to pay a ridiculous sum of money to get them back.

Regards.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks, I have most photos on CD or DVD, but still feel weird deleting them from the hd, so I decided to by a huge HD so I would not have to delete them even thought they are on DVD.

I just want them in only one place, on the new HD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.