• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

What are your thoughts?

Reaction score
I don't know if the Mac is going to die anytime soon, but I think it's going to stagnate. Even before the Mac got ignored at WWDC, it was pretty clear that Apple's priorities have shifted in a big way. It's actually a kick in the 'nads, really, for those of us that recently switched, to know that the fantastic product we've grown to love is no longer Apple's focus. But, those are the breaks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
It's all about the money for Apple (and any other corporation) and the mobile business is where the money is at right now.

A while back, people were crazy for this new thing called a computer.

Now people are crazy for this new thing called an iPad, iPhone, touchscreen, etc.

Apple has already established itself as a computer company, now they are trying to become a leader in mobile products.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
The reports of the Mac's death have been greatly exaggerated. At least in the immediate future. Apple just released a new version of OS X late last August. Given the fact that Microsoft doesn't seem to be doing much with Windows at the moment (in terms of shipping a new release) and the fact that Leopard and Snow Leopard took two years to develop, it doesn't make much sense for Apple to spend much time talking about the Mac at this year's keynote. I fully expect it to be a major topic at next year's WWDC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I don't think the Mac is dead yet. I just think 2011 will be the year of the Mac. I'm sure there is just a lot of new technology, like light cable, USB 3, better screens, bigger (in GBs) and less power hungry hard drives etc etc that are all on the horizon. And I'm sure Apple are taking the cautious approach of:
1. Making these technologies other technologies we don't yet know abput work 100% before putting then in their Mac product lines.

2. Making sure there is not too many big product releases in a year. Not everyone can afford every Apple product at one and Apple know this. So people already have to choose between iphone 4 and ipad. But if it was iphone 4 and ipad and new imac and new MBP and and . . . I think you get the issue. Stagnate the releases so people can save for (or slowly pay off) the Apple purchases they have made.

3. I think Apple have it harder this time round as they need to go back to the drawing board for 10.7 at least. Another Snow Leopard like updare for OS X will not cut it this time around. But the catch is 10.6 has almost everything we need to live our digital lives. All the basic things like backing up hard drives, setting up networks playing gams, writing letters, editing things etc etc we can to brilliantly with 10.6 (and software).

So it will take some time to think up and develop some new innovations for 10.7 And to be honest I really can't think anything new that 10.7 could use apart from touch screens technology or "Air Touch". Air Touch is my idea for a touch screen but instead of touching the screen you you your hand like a remote to move the things on your screen.

I think now is a turning point in computing. As the standard old idea of sitting your *** on a char and typing on a keyboard infront of a screen is becoming old and out dated. And it takes time to think of something to replace that, that is actually useful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I must be missing something because my late MBP and 10.6.4 have been the fastest
trouble free system I have owned yet and I am sure they are working on better as I type
but they are not a car company where they need to replace a model each year in order
to keep sales up.

OP
Baldman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP | Mini | iPOD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Macbook White 2Ghz 2Gig RAM 120Gig HDD
some stuff is getting neglected though, while they bring out iMovie and iWork for the mobile devices, the Mac versions are starting to get a little stale.

Reaction score
I don't think the Mac is dead yet. I just think 2011 will be the year of the Mac. I'm sure there is just a lot of new technology, like light cable, USB 3, better screens, bigger (in GBs) and less power hungry hard drives etc etc that are all on the horizon. And I'm sure Apple are taking the cautious approach of:
1. Making these technologies other technologies we don't yet know abput work 100% before putting then in their Mac product lines.

2. Making sure there is not too many big product releases in a year. Not everyone can afford every Apple product at one and Apple know this. So people already have to choose between iphone 4 and ipad. But if it was iphone 4 and ipad and new imac and new MBP and and . . . I think you get the issue. Stagnate the releases so people can save for (or slowly pay off) the Apple purchases they have made.

3. I think Apple have it harder this time round as they need to go back to the drawing board for 10.7 at least. Another Snow Leopard like updare for OS X will not cut it this time around. But the catch is 10.6 has almost everything we need to live our digital lives. All the basic things like backing up hard drives, setting up networks playing gams, writing letters, editing things etc etc we can to brilliantly with 10.6 (and software).

So it will take some time to think up and develop some new innovations for 10.7 And to be honest I really can't think anything new that 10.7 could use apart from touch screens technology or "Air Touch". Air Touch is my idea for a touch screen but instead of touching the screen you you your hand like a remote to move the things on your screen.

I think now is a turning point in computing. As the standard old idea of sitting your *** on a char and typing on a keyboard infront of a screen is becoming old and out dated. And it takes time to think of something to replace that, that is actually useful.

Nicely done. You make some very good and valid points.
I don't see the death of Mac whatsoever. They just took over the leaderboard ahead of Microsoft, I wouldn't worry to much.

Reaction score
The focus over the last year at Apple have been the new OS systems, iPad and iPhone so I too expect the Mac to get some love next year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
The phrase Death of Mac is a premature statement and is kind of a typical news tactic trying to sensationalize something in order to get more readers. Jobs did talk about how the future might have a reduction from traditional computing which I take that as less of a primary focus on traditional computers but the death of them sounds more like gossip news making. Jobs also didn't talk about iPods so I guess now someone has to go and write an article about the Death of iPods. :)

As Jobs said in the D8 conference the market will dictate what Apple does. I don't know about the rest of you but I find my Mac computer too useful to give up and can not be replaced by something like an iPad. Apple is just one of those companies that is willing to explore new ideas but if consumers still buy a lot of Macs then Apple will be forced to concentrated their energy to Macs. So simple solution...buy lots of Macs. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
Nah.

Gotta have a Mac to synch your iPad and iPhone. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I happen to believe that there is very little to be done in terms of *real* upgrades, that are WWDC worthy, considering there is going to be a major chip change due from apple in a couple of years. With upgrades, I mean physical change in the way it looks, not just a speed bump. I also don't believe these, "trucks," or Mac Pro's will ever be going away anytime soon. Remember, the F150 is the best selling vehicle in the US, beating regular cars by almost double in sale numbers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
The best part of that article was at the beginning when he mocks the Newsweek article with his own exaggerated version. ;D

Apple is like any other business in that it wants to make money so if something still sells I don't think they will be intentionally trying to kill it off. I think everyone will agree that Apple will make the most money if they got us all to buy a Mac computer, an iPod, an iPad, and also an iPhone. Apple also likes to stagger out their releases and not release everything in their product line at once. It's a smart thing too because many of us can't afford it all at once. If I remember correctly most products mentioned at keynotes are usually available either right away or very soon after the keynote so that in itself means that Apple can't talk about everything in its product lineup.

As mentioned by idrinorbarsaku unless there is a big change to the Mac computers a speed bump is not really news worthy for keynotes. Speed bumps aren't exciting to the general public and Apple always wants to create excitement for their products especially at keynotes.

Also if 10.7 is not ready to go then Apple is not going to talk about it at its keynote. As I mentioned above Apple doesn't talk about things in their keynotes that aren't close to ready to being released. They are not one of those companies that gives out public roadmaps to what they are doing. So basically at the time of WWDC 2010 there wasn't really any major news for Mac computers worthy to be announced. Apple hasn't been doing major announcements for speed bump upgrades to their computers anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
The Mac is far from dead

Apple's intense focus on the iPhone this year doesn't mean that the Mac is a dead platform; instead, it means that Apple is comfortable enough with the Mac's status that it can afford to let the Mac just be for now. That doesn't sound like a platform on its deathbed to me. It sounds like a platform in its prime.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
If the information in this article still holds true:
Apple has 91 percent revenue share of premium market
Apple's quarterly earnings aren't the only bits of good news going around: according to Betanews, the market research firm NPD has found that Apple's revenue market share in the premium price segment (computers costing $1000 or more) is 91 percent, up from 88 percent in May.
This is 2009 news mind you. But it says almost everyone wanting to pay the premium for a quality computer looks at Apple. And the only reason the PC's have their market share is cheap prices on cheap computers.

And that reason alone tells me the Mac is thriving. Doing really well. And with the ipad eating up the netbook for breakfast. It might just be in the future that above $1000US the Mac is has the highest sales (as it does now) and below $1000US the ipad could rule that market. That's a very dominant position for Apple to be in.

But that's a little off track. My whole point is the Mac and OS X is far from dead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Amazingly good points by everybody. I think this is the first time that I can not disagree with anyone, well... except the Newsweek writer. (I scoff at calling him a journalist, because he's not really doing his job. He's merely trying to create something out of nothing and not reporting any facts. Typical press)

I commented on his article there, and stand by what everyone has said here adding what I said in my reply to the article, which is that you will not be seeing powerful 64 bit apps on any iPad or cloud based OS anytime soon. The hardware needed to run such resource intensive applications will only reside on an appropriate system. And that means the difference between two different business models. Apple isn't going to combine the two, it would make no sense to not cater to several market segments.

The times right now are catering to the mobile platform. It's only natural that Apple try and dominate in any area which it is able to. it's already got the Mac and OS X on lock down (meaning they're freeking perfect for the market they serve) and like has been said here already.. .until the next big change comes along, there's no sense in tossing tiny pebbles into an ocean full of savvy sharks. I've a feeling that the next really big step for the Mac will not be until OS XI, and that each release up until then will simply deal with a more robust interface for future hardware specs such as perhaps... touch screen laptops or iMacs ? That's just me speculating though.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree with what you say Doug b.
I think Snow Leopard and the ipad/iphone is a shift Apple is making. They are moving away from the mantra of bigger and faster (cpu) is better. And they are moving to: "more efficient, less power compsution, better UI, more features, more optimosed etc etc".

I think you get my point. Most tech companies still believe a better bigger faster more good looking piece of hardware or software is the way to go. Which is totally the opposite fo Apple current line of thinking.

So I think the Mac is not dying. I just think how you look and develop for the Mac has changed forever. And I think that change started with Snow Leopard. it does not matter what the specs of a machine or software are actually. Most people only care about the best user experience. And if that 1ghz ipad can give a user a better user experience then a 2ghz dell notebook well you know which one will be bought.

So in that regard OS X (SL) and the iOS are different in function yes. But in basic design principle and the following of Apple's mantra the two OS's are rather similar. With similar eng goals in mind.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.