new iPod Classic, already a few lockups/freezes

Reaction score
I got a new 160GB Classic last week. I've had it a total of 6 days. The first freeze-ups I encountered were while playing iQuiz. I came to terms with the fact that I don't like the game at all, so I blew it off, though I was curious why it would do that (seemed to happen when it was using my tracks to play samples for questions).

But I've also had two freeze-ups when connecting it to my MacBook Pro (2010). Just, as soon as it's plugged in, it locks up, and won't do a thing. Have to do a two-finger reset and then it's fine.

Does this sound normal at all, or could I possible have a glitchy iPod Classic? I mean, it's only 6 days old, I didn't think I'd experience ANY crashes at all.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, it's not normal. If it continues to freeze up when you attach it to your MBP, I would take it to Apple and let them look at it. They'll probably swap it out for a new one. Be sure to remove all your music and other files before taking it in.

Regards.

OP
skiltrip
Reaction score
No, it's not normal. If it continues to freeze up when you attach it to your MBP, I would take it to Apple and let them look at it. They'll probably swap it out for a new one. Be sure to remove all your music and other files before taking it in.

Regards.

Thanks. I think I will today. How do you wipe all your media off the iPod? (this is my first iPod, I'm new to this stuff).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just attach the iPod to your MBP, open iTunes and use it to delete or move music and files from your iPod to the MBP. Or, you can mount the iPod in hard disk mode and do the same thing. You definitely want to remove everything off it because the genius bar at your local Apple store will not when and if they swap the iPod out for a new one.

Regards.

OP
skiltrip
Reaction score
Just attach the iPod to your MBP, open iTunes and use it to delete or move music and files from your iPod to the MBP. Or, you can mount the iPod in hard disk mode and do the same thing. You definitely want to remove everything off it because the genius bar at your local Apple store will not when and if they swap the iPod out for a new one.

Regards.

Well, I did not end up getting a new iPod. I could NOT get it to freeze while in the Apple store. Figures. So he did a restore on it, and said if it keeps doing it, then maybe they can replace it. Hopefully it'll be ok from here on out, but if not, I'm gonna end up back in there.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was going to suggest a restore but in my experience with iPods (I have four) that usually does not resolve the problem. Hopefully yours will be OK from now on. Did you purchase Apple care for it? I usually don't recommend it for the less expensive iPods, but for the Classic and Touch, it's probably a good idea.

Regards.

OP
skiltrip
Reaction score
I was going to suggest a restore but in my experience with iPods (I have four) that usually does not resolve the problem. Hopefully yours will be OK from now on. Did you purchase Apple care for it? I usually don't recommend it for the less expensive iPods, but for the Classic and Touch, it's probably a good idea.

Regards.

Well, I had another lock-up connecting it to my computer. So this time, I left it alone, immediately made a Genius Bar appointment, and went right back to the Apple store so they could see it locked up tight in person. After a long wait, I got assistance, and they agreed to replace it. The kicker was... none in stock. So, they said 2-3 days and they'll call me. Looks like a 3rd trip to the Apple Store is in my future, but at least I'm getting it replaced.

Thanks for the advice.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I've owned "classic" iPods for quite a few years now. My 30GB (which was bought in 2007) now lives in my car full time. Throughout freezing/scalding temperature cycles and on bumpy roads, it's maybe locked up on me once or twice. Somehow I think you did indeed get a dud. Every once in awhile you'll get a bad hard drive in a new device, fortunately you've noticed it well within the warranty period.

Amazing that they didn't have them in stock though - that's a shocker.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.