• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Question re: Importing in iMovie08

Reaction score
I have a 25 minute video, 346.5 mb in size.

iMovie 08 is telling me its going to take 395 minutes to import this file into iMovie. That sounds completely insane to me!

I saw on some other forum that someone recommended converting the mp4 into a dv file, and then importing. Should I follow this advice? Will it help me at all? What should I actually do?

OP
R
Reaction score
I also tried using MPEG Streamclip...the In and Out thing is great, but when I ripped the selection, it did audio only... I can't figure out why..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
The 395 minutes is probably a lie. Just try it. ****, do when you go to sleep.

To get further help from someone, I think you need to say what codec the video is in. The MPEG Streamclip experts might have some suggestions then.

OP
R
Reaction score
The codec says: H.264, AAC

So I let it go overnight. Now I'm trying to export a 5 min 30s clip from the aforementioned video and iMovie says its going to take 120 minutes!

How is this possible? I've used iMovie before, and I know it pretty well - I've never had these problems before!

Any help :/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I can't see how a re-install would help.

Did the 5 min clip actually take 120 minutes to import?

What kind of hardware are you running on?

What is the container file type? Where are the files coming from?

OP
R
Reaction score
The 5 minute clip didn't quite take 120min, but it was still about....75-80 min.

I have a 2.16 GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo. 2 GB RAM. (It's a 3 year old Macbook)

The files came from a DVD that I ripped using HandBrake. So - the file I initially used was an mp4 at 346.5 MB (which mind you, took 7 hours approx to just bring into iMovie).

Again, I've used iMovie before, and it's never been this difficult.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting. Have you loaded any new codec software lately? Updated anything related?

This isn't the first time I've seen someone ask about long imports. Sorry I don't have any links, although I'm sure it has been asked here a couple of times too. Trying to track this kind of thing down is a pain.

Have you tried using another tool to first convert the file to some friendlier QuickTime format?

OP
R
Reaction score
No recent codec software.

I tried another video and it actually worked normally! 30-35 min to go into iMovie, and 20 to export a movie file. So that ended up working...

I didn't try converting the file to a "friendlier QuickTime format", but what do you recommend if I run into a situation like this again??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Having never had this problem, I don't have a recommendation.

People like MPEG Streamclip, but it looks like you need to find the formula that works for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.