Heat issues, Dual Core Vs. i5/7

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
I currently have a dual core 2.8ghz 15 inch MBP and I was thinking about getting one of the newer i5/7 macbook pro's have the same issues as the last few generations of Macbook pro's. My fans are almost spinning and making noise and I'd love to get away from that. I can't find any mention of that in any of the reviews. So does anyone know for sure if the new Macbook Pro's are quieter and cooler then the old ones? Much thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Those are also dual core machines. You don't have just a "dual core" machine. You have an Intel Core Duo or Core 2 Duo. That's because they were early members of the "Intel Core" family of processors, but are the new additions in that line up are the core i3, i5, i7, and i9s. The core i3 is strictly a dual core chip. i5 is most often times (and in the case of the MacBook pros) also a dual core chip, though in the iMacs it is a quad core chip clocked at 2.66GHz. While the dual core i5s support hyper threading (i.e. running 2 processes per core), the quad core i5 does not. Both however support the intel turbo boost technology. The i7 is most often times a quad core chip (in mobile and desktop classes). However, as in the case of the MacBook pros and some other custom build computers, the i7 can also be a dual core chip with a higher clock speed than its mobile quad core companion (2.66GHz dual vs 1.6GHz quad). The dual core i7 will also turbo boost BOTH cores up to 3.06GHz, and a single core up to 3.33GHz, whereas the quad core mobile companion will have a max turbo boost on 1 core up to 2.8GHz. The i9 is (as far as I know) only a hexacore CPU, and has yet to be released.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
Thanks for clearing up the differences in the chips for me, I guess I should change my question to something more along the lines of are the new i5 MBP's cooler running then the other models. I'm rather sick of hearing my fans whine away at all hours of the day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, the i5 and i7 architectures do run fairly hot, but at the same time, the new MacBook pros aren't that loud when the fans are running. The unibody design helps with that. At least, I don't mind the noise when my fans are going at 4000ish rpm on my 2GHz core 2 duo. This is of course with me assuming that your old MacBook Pro isn't the unibody model (black keys rather than silver keys).

The chips run hot, but are rated for much higher temperatures. Also progress in the area of flash getting hardware acceleration in OS X and the advancement of HTML5 as a standard (and the process of it maturing) will lead to less CPU cycles for every day use. This should lead to a quiet machine with a ton of power.

Reaction score
Actually, the i5/i7 will be less likely to have heat issues than the previous Core 2 Duos. The i5/i7 have thermal monitoring technologies where as the Core 2 Duos do not. That is why the i5/i7 spend most of their time in idle mode to protect from overheating and reduce power dissipation. Both the i5/i7 and Core 2 Duos have the max thermal design power of 35 watts meaning they can all dissipate up to 35 watts of heat without exceeding the maximum junction temperature for the chip. The fact that the MBPs get as hot as they do is primarily due to default fan speed being set too low. Since Apple is so obsessed with battery efficiency, fastest fan speed means more power consumption.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
While I agree with the points that have been made here already, I'd like to add one simple thing...

ALL modern notebooks run hot... all of them. It's just the nature of the beast. Ever since notebooks started approaching the performance level of desktops, that has been the case.

You'll notice how manufacturers never refer to them as "laptops". There is a reason they've almost universally move to the term "notebook". It's because they're really not designed to be used on your lap. Sure, we all do it - but if the heat really bothers you, do yourself (and your notebook) a favor and buy a lap desk. Any lap desk will do -- the thing to remember is that you want your notebook to have a little bit of room to breathe, that's why they put feet on them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, the i5/i7 will be less likely to have heat issues than the previous Core 2 Duos. The i5/i7 have thermal monitoring technologies where as the Core 2 Duos do not. That is why the i5/i7 spend most of their time in idle mode to protect from overheating and reduce power dissipation. Both the i5/i7 and Core 2 Duos have the max thermal design power of 35 watts meaning they can all dissipate up to 35 watts of heat without exceeding the maximum junction temperature for the chip. The fact that the MBPs get as hot as they do is primarily due to default fan speed being set too low. Since Apple is so obsessed with battery efficiency, fastest fan speed means more power consumption.

Um, yes, but if you give the chip a steady workload for any amount of time, the i7s especially can run over 100C - that's probably got something to do with their 3.06GHz dual core mode. :p

Reaction score
Um, yes, but if you give the chip a steady workload for any amount of time, the i7s especially can run over 100C - that's probably got something to do with their 3.06GHz dual core mode. :p

Um yeah, I guess that can happen. Especially in a compact unibody enclosure with slow cooling fans and heat can't escape. When the i7 engages in Turbo Boost mode, the processor will continuously monitor temperature and power consumption and only if the temperature is below Intel's pre-set limits will the i7 dynamically overclock one or more cores to increase performance. In the scenario that both cores of the i7 are running at 3.06GHz and the temperature exceeds the pre-set limits (most likely far less than 100C), then conversely, the processor will reduce the clock speed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.